Author Topic: What material for a lock plate?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Curmudgeon

• Starting Member
What material for a lock plate?
« on: December 22, 2022, 12:19:21 AM »
I want to make a lock plate to match a pattern I am working on.  What type of steel would anyone recommend for it?  The plan is to transfer a Davis parts set to it.  Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: What material for a lock plate?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 01:16:35 AM »
1018 would be fine. Mild steel. You can locally harden the tumbler hole with Kasenit or Cherry Red or pack case harden it if you like.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 01:53:53 AM »
1018 is what I used for over 50 years and still do on the triggers,If you are going to mill it from 1/4 inch thick
material I would cut it to the length needed and then anneal it before milling.The hardening of the tumbler hole is not really needed but not a bad idea either so it's optional.The Davis mechanism is a better lock than the old ones seen in collections today.Good luck with this project.
Bob Roller

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 02:03:48 AM »
I've used 1018 on all the steel lock plate I've made so far (12 plates all in all).

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Curmudgeon

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 10:31:09 PM »
How does wrought iron work for this?  Can it be easily dimensioned on a mill and case hardened?  I'd like to try it.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 01:13:14 AM »
How does wrought iron work for this?  Can it be easily dimensioned on a mill and case hardened?  I'd like to try it.
“Wrought iron” comes in many grades. The lowest grade stuff is full of slag. It doesn’t matter for barn door hinges or iron tires for wooden wheels. Of course lock plates were forged of wrought iron back in the day.
Andover, Vermont