Author Topic: Powder horn made from black walnut..?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Powder horn made from black walnut..?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2022, 04:58:08 PM »
Looks old as Moses. I’d leave it perfectly alone.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2023, 03:44:12 AM »
I wonder if it was at one time a hunting horn. Very popular things down here in the mountains of North Carolina… used a lot for ‘coon hunting. This might explain why the bottom plug is not fixed, so if can keep junk out when being carried around.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2023, 06:33:47 PM »
 I have the horn in hand and have been looking it over with a large magnifier on and off for a couple days.. I see no evidence of it ever being used as a powder horn. I think just the fact that the base plug is not secured tells us that. Nor do I think it was used as a hunting horn either, the shape and size of the hole in the tip pretty well leaves that out. At first because of the nice shape I was sure it was a Cow horn just well patinaed but after a closer look and seeing the chip off the tip I scrapped that idea. The base band is one piece of Copper lapped over and riveted. I can see no lap joint on the other two bands so they were probably cut from one piece, a section of the center cut out, heated and worked on a mandrel to fit. They are held in place by Copper pins that have been peened over from the inside and out. The Copper tip has no seam either but has a decorative sawtooth design cut into the bottom. It is a press fit and I can see no evidence of it ever being pinned on. The lip has a small hole in it but I do not think that was used as a retainer for a plug because of its placement. I think a string of any kind would interfere with the plug fitting tightly. Rather I think there was a lid that swiveled over the opening. There may be something else missing from the tip too, other than a lid. As well made as the rest of it is I find it strange that the maker would leave the brim of the tip so rough. Although that may be from use but what was its use? One line of thinking is that it is" more likely decorative or ceremonial piece." 
  All-in-all whatever it was made for it is done very well and by someone with experience in a couple of different trades, if made by one craftsman. 
 Just my thoughts on a really unique piece.

Tim C.

PS: The suggestion was made to have the wood tested to see what it is and where it came from. I
       have contacted these folks: http://wood-identification.com so there may be more to come. TC