Author Topic: Any tricks to turn down end of ramrod to fit a tip?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline RaiderSix

• Starting Member
Any tricks to turn down end of ramrod to fit a tip?
« on: December 23, 2022, 10:21:58 AM »
I bought a few spare ramrods and tips and was just wondering how to efficiently reduce the diameter of the ends to fit into a tip. Was wondering if something like a dowel cutter would work.

Offline Chocktaw Brave

Re: Any tricks to turn down end of ramrod to fit a tip?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 11:20:22 AM »
That might work.
I used a cutter designed to cut arrow shafts. After marking how much to trim I adjusted the cutting wheel to only protrude about a 32nd from the surface. Then just rotated the shaft while cutting to my mark. Just had to touch up a little with sand paper, but it worked.
Without a picture it sounds difficult, but think of it like only having a blade up a tiny bit on a table saw, then passing a board over it.

Offline rennikselum

• Jeff Rogers
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 03:38:37 PM »
Chamfer the edge of the ram rod, chuck the ram rod tip in a drill, pull the trigger and push. The tip will seat itself onto the rod. The wood fibers will peel back and slightly burn. Clean up wood fibers, run a pin through it and you’re done.

Jeff

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 03:45:56 PM »
       First measure how far your rod will need to be inserted into the RR tip.  Mark a line around the R R and then cut using a fine tooth saw i.e. jewlers saw or similar to cut a stop line all the way around the ramrod.  Use a small chisle to cut an angle back to the stop line,  You can then use a file or fine rasp to reduce the diameter of your RR blank to fit the inside of the tip you wish to install.  I cut this diameter on a slight taper front to rear with the rear being the larger diameter.  Chuck your ramrod tip into your drill and spin it onto the RR blank  held in your vice..  Make sure to pin the tip into place, do not depend on glue or any kind.   After the rod tip is installed you can determine the final length of your RR and finish as desired.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 06:14:03 PM »
Measure, mark and cut ring with an exacto knife and trim off, a drop or two of epoxy, drill and pin. The whole process would take 15-20 min. It really isnt a hard job.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 11:50:18 PM »
I found a tubing cutter works well to mark a square line on the rod for your tip, works to mark the other end if you want to file grooves for a grip.

Offline Berksrifle

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 12:47:30 AM »
 Ditto on the tubing cutter.

Ken

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 01:35:06 AM »
Now why didn't I think of that.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 02:23:11 AM »
To cut the line where the tip will stop, I roll the rod under a sharp knife against a table or bench.  I use a sharp inletting knife to back cut the wood up to the incised cut, and then whittle the wood down like sharpening a pencil only parallel,not tapered.  I use the rod tip itself to show where the wood is not reduced enough and continue in this way, until I can drive the tip onto the rod.  Then drill and cross pin with 1/16" welding rod.  Countersink the brass just a titch and rivet the ends of the pin, then file flush and polish.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 02:41:42 AM »
I use a metal lathe.  Getting perfect press fit is easy.   Be sure and rig up a way to keep the  free end  of the ramrod blank from whiping around and breaking.  Collets are super nice to use also. 

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2022, 07:32:14 AM »
Tubing cutter and a Case knife. Old nail as a cross pin. Countersink both sides of the hole then peen flat and file.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2022, 10:14:07 PM »
I've done several just using a knife and sandpaper and occasionally a file.  They are also glued AND pinned onto the rod.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2022, 10:18:32 PM »
I glue them with CA and cross pin with brass.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2022, 01:54:48 AM »
Ditto to the tubing cutter and the metal lathe.
When I drill the hole for the cross pin, I will use a couple of steps larger drill bit to open up the hole in the tip for a place for the brass pin to go.  I just turn it with my finger tips, all you want to do is slightly bevel it.  Then when you peen the pin, it fits nice and won't ever come out unless you tap it out with a pin punch.

Offline kutter

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2022, 05:13:14 AM »
I run a Tap into the RamRod tip hole. Tap it for whatever size & thread happens to fit,,and it doesn't have to be
any sort of perfect fit either. A sloppy loose thread is fine.

Then run the die of the same thread down over the ram rod end far enough to bury itself in the tip when the two are screwed together.
Sometimes this takes a couple of passes and trys so the threads you cut on the RR don't show (cut too far).

You usually don't have to shave the ramrod dia down any, the die will do that for you if you start it from it's normal 'Start From This Side'.
The metal cutting Dies & Taps will cut very nice threads in hard wood.

When things fit nicely,,put SuperGlue on the threads and QUICKLY screw the 2 together.
The SG will set up very quickly in the confined space. If you dawdle or hesitate in threading the two together you may find yourself with the tip only partially screwed into place and refusing to go any further.

You can use regular expoxy if you feel better about it, but it'll take whatever amt of hrs to set up.

Then drill,  pin and rivit a pin into place very lightly a finish off the assembly no matter what you use.

Offline RaiderSix

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 04:07:04 AM »
Interesting idea of using a tap and die. Time to tear the house apart trying to find my tap and die set. 😬