General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Battle of Trenton

(1/2) > >>

Molly:
The crossing was on the late day and evening of 12/25.  The battle is reported to have began on the morning of the 26th and lasted only a short while.  Colonial forces overwhelmed the Hessians capturing 900.  It was cold...18 degrees or so and there was snow on the ground.

Our Black Powder group shoots today.  Unfortunately it is clear, sunny, no winds no snow and will be a hot 30 degrees.

But we shoot today to honor those who fought that day.  Three years ago our local conditions were like those of 1776.  If you have never shot in those conditions try it some time!

MAS

snapper:
That was a heroic effort made by those men that night.

Fleener

cable:
my son and I drank a toast to my gggggrandfather, Casper Goebel,  who was at that battle and is number 37 on the prisoner list,

he was interned at lancaster and after 6 months of so he became a blue coat, a continental soldier, and fought the rest of the war on the american side.  he was at a number of significant battles, including guilford courthouse.   who knows, maybe he even knew Dennis' ancestor who was in the battle as well.

Bigmon:
Those were real MEN that risked everything for their beliefs.  Sometimes I wish I could have been involved in something as significant and meaning ful, then I think about it and count myself blessed that I didn't have to risk it all.
I had an ancestor that was also believed to be a
Hessian, but can't find when and where he fought or was captured , or decided to stay here?  His last name was Betz or Betts??
Thank GOD for those men

Dennis Glazener:

--- Quote from: Bigmon on December 27, 2022, 08:52:56 PM ---Those were real MEN that risked everything for their beliefs.  Sometimes I wish I could have been involved in something as significant and meaning ful, then I think about it and count myself blessed that I didn't have to risk it all.
I had an ancestor that was also believed to be a
Hessian, but can't find when and where he fought or was captured , or decided to stay here?  His last name was Betz or Betts??
Thank GOD for those men

--- End quote ---

Yes thank God for these men! If Washington had not planned this attack and had it not been sucessful  we may have lost the War. It was one of the low points of the war. Many troops service commitments were ending and morale was so low our armies may have just desolved! It gave our troups a desperately need shot in the arm that put new life into our armies and in our country.
Dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version