Author Topic: Saga of a Jaeger "Project Rifle"  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Nailcreek

Saga of a Jaeger "Project Rifle"
« on: December 26, 2022, 07:02:19 PM »
About a year ago, while trolling a gun auction site, I won a flintlock “Jaeger”, that was charitably described as “unfinished” and a project.  Both words didn’t describe what arrived.  What did show up at my door was a TOW walnut stock of marginal quality, 1 1/8” straight Green Mountain barrel in 54 cal, 31” long and a collection of brass fittings, all of which were brought together by someone who got in over their head and obviously decided to cut bait.

My gun building experience to date is purely aspirational, the last time I tried to build something was 20+ years ago.  So, I figured this would be a good project to learn on … figuring that I couldn’t do much worse than had already been done before tackling something more intensive.  I also reached out to some incredible, sterling builders for advice and direction as I dove into it – owing much to their valued encouragement, friendship and  no doubt giving them much amusement and head-shaking in return.  I’ve kept working on this more out of spite and stubbornness than wisdom – exemplifying the “sunk cost fallacy” dynamic.

What I’ve done to date:
•   Had the barrel cut down to a much more reasonable 27 ¾”
•   Reinlet and repositioned the first two ramrod pipes
•   Installed new barrel lugs
•   Reinlet the buttplate
•   Cleaned up the original inletting
•   Filled in all the drilled holes
•   Filled in the original trigger guard and trigger inletting and inlet a new trigger guard – modifying the same
•   Inlet a new trigger

There’s a lot more to go, and I am learning along the way.  I’ll post more as the saga continues.  Pictures to follow.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Saga of a Jaeger "Project Rifle"
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 10:26:27 PM »
Sounds like you laid out a great plan and are making good progress. Always fun to make a save. Don’t worry about investing more than some others might. You’re learning and getting great restoration practice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 04:28:27 AM »

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 04:30:58 AM »

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 04:29:39 PM »
Working on the patchbox lid ... and learning the difference between brass and what is likely bronze.  The buttplate edges need to be very thin, almost knife-edge as the originals were.  I'm going to take the flat off the lid as best I can, and blend the end piece with the buttplate contours.  Trying to do this myself has given me a very deep sense of appreciation for those artisans on this site who do this so well.

online photo hosting

picture uploader

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 07:22:39 PM »
It sure is frustrating that a lot of stuff is advertised as “yellow brass” when it’s not.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 04:48:41 AM »
Lots of mistakes on it, but it was a worthwhile project.  I ended up trying the horn muzzlecapand ramrod tip.  The screws were fireblued, and the barrel finish used Jax blackener.  I also had a lot of really appreciated encouragement and advice from some truly gifted artists helping me along.

upload photo url free

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 04:42:33 PM »
It sure is frustrating that a lot of stuff is advertised as “yellow brass” when it’s not.
Dealing with that right now. When Wallace Gussler repaired the "Brass Barreled Gun", He cast the barrel extension from antique Candlesticks and such.
Yellow is in the eye of the beholder.
Nailcreek, you did a good job with what you had to work with.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Grischi

• Youtube: 'Ist das Kunst oder kann das weg?'
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 07:12:30 PM »
Wow, you did great on this.
Your efforts are amazing the results are speaking for themselfs.

Offline jmf

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 07:44:03 PM »
That turned out very well