Author Topic: Finishing castings  (Read 903 times)

Offline lexington1

Finishing castings
« on: December 27, 2022, 06:01:54 AM »
What do you fellows use to finish TRS castings? I've been using files, then sandpaper, but I've read of people using stones. What sort of stones? I am working on a bunch of castings that I would like to finish out and color case harden, but I am fishing for ideas.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Finishing castings
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 06:10:00 AM »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Scota4570

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 06:15:47 AM »
Thank you very much! Exactly what I was looking for.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 06:21:18 PM »
What do you fellows use to finish TRS castings? I've been using files, then sandpaper, but I've read of people using stones. What sort of stones? I am working on a bunch of castings that I would like to finish out and color case harden, but I am fishing for ideas.

Back in the "day" when I started to make the Chet Shoults small Ketland I tried to copy his finish which looked like nickel plating on high end modern revolvers of that time.He offered externally unfinished right thru as far as he could go.I started doing the same thing then realized I wasn't getting paid I stopped the "Super"polish and did what could be called "Mid Range" and no polish at all.To me,the LOCK is the mechanism BEHIND the lock plate and if it's not right the project is derailed.The Maslin I also made and some had a bright finish over the cast in engraving and some did not.In the late 1970's I was able to buy any external parts I wanted from L&R and then came the Henry Nock flintlock and I bought the moulds for the EXTERNAL parts and that was for a while an exclusive for a gun maker in Germany and had a "Mid Range" external polish and completely detailed mechanism. The L&R externals were for me the ideal "chassis"to install a copy of some English locks in and the last two flintlocks I made were on their Durs Egg locks and one had a re=enforced cock.I do appreciate L&R's willingness to sell me anything in their inventory that I could use.I have not tried Chris Hirsch's parts but they look good to me and one with the re-enforced cock is tempting and thanls to whoever reopened this old thread.
Bob Roller

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 02:11:33 AM by Tim Crosby »