Author Topic: Scroll design challenge  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Goo

Scroll design challenge
« on: December 30, 2022, 05:03:40 PM »

I have some ideas concerning designing and developing rococo style carving and engraving patterns. What I have come to believe is it all begins with flow along a single line.   I have attached the image of a single flowing line with a couple of offshoots along the pattern.    If you are interested in participating print off or copy the image by hand.  Develop the line into a design then post the results.    The point is to see how different people see the patterns and visualize the embellishments that can be added to this particular line.   If you see the line as unbalanced or not conforming to rococo style then make some changes develop your pattern and explain why the image original line doesn`t work and yours does.  Please don`t post pictures of work you have already done         
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Scroll design challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 06:31:11 PM »
Nothing can be made from your example other than bad scroll work.  The open end is your origin and scrolls do not grow backwards, which all yours are doing.  Perhaps this will give you some inspiration.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Goo

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 02:14:53 AM »
Nothing can be made from your example other than bad scroll work.  The open end is your origin and scrolls do not grow backwards, which all yours are doing.  Perhaps this will give you some inspiration.

I think you missed the whole point of using the single line as a starting point to embellish and build off of.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 03:14:06 AM »

I have some ideas concerning designing and developing rococo style carving and engraving patterns. What I have come to believe is it all begins with flow along a single line.   I have attached the image of a single flowing line with a couple of offshoots along the pattern.    If you are interested in participating print off or copy the image by hand.  Develop the line into a design then post the results.    The point is to see how different people see the patterns and visualize the embellishments that can be added to this particular line.   If you see the line as unbalanced or not conforming to rococo style then make some changes develop your pattern and explain why the image original line doesn`t work and yours does.  Please don`t post pictures of work you have already done         

The very first line , or the first "scroll" just doesn't look "right"  It's too symmetrical and I don't recall seeing that on original rifles

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 03:57:13 AM »
Tough crowd huh Goo? One of my best references for carving, engraving, and wire inlay work is the book "The Flintlock, It's Origin and Development". A lot of the artwork you see on modern made Longrifles is in this book. If you can get your hands on this book you may find some inspiration and knowledge on how wire inlay and scroll work flows.

Offline Not English

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 04:57:25 AM »
I'll second Clowdis'  recommendation. It is by Torsten Link. You'll learn more from that book than you ever thought possible.

Offline Goo

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 03:57:39 PM »

I came up with this last night

Offline Goo

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 04:05:05 PM »

[/quote]

The very first line , or the first "scroll" just doesn't look "right"  It's too symmetrical and I don't recall seeing that on original rifles
[/quote]

While I appreciate your input the point of this is YOu get your pencil and paper out draw something and show me why your is better and mine isnt .  dont just comment please prove it to me.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 04:55:45 PM »
  I'm no great  "expert"  but I think you proved your point Goo.. Theirs always another way to do something..  Just because it's written in a book.
Doesn't mean it's the only way.....   Oldtravler

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 06:13:09 PM »
goo,

I'm no expert, but can I suggest something as an experiment?  on your revised drawing, with the added lines... reverse the big scroll at the bottom.
keep the opening facing to the right, but put the 'tail' of the scroll down and allow the bigger end to be upwards. Its not a major change, but will get the
secondary arcs to come off the back of the main scroll line at bit smoother looking..

I think, to my untrained eye, it would anchor the engraving better and create flow along the whole pattern???oh and the lil reverse leaves on the 'tail', might wanna head them the other direction as well??  Keep all flows headed in one direction, is what my instincts are telling me

Just thinking out loud..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 06:17:37 PM by Metalshaper »

Offline Goo

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 09:54:02 PM »
goo,

I'm no expert, but can I suggest something as an experiment?  on your revised drawing, with the added lines... reverse the big scroll at the bottom.
keep the opening facing to the right, but put the 'tail' of the scroll down and allow the bigger end to be upwards. Its not a major change, but will get the
secondary arcs to come off the back of the main scroll line at bit smoother looking..

I think, to my untrained eye, it would anchor the engraving better and create flow along the whole pattern???oh and the lil reverse leaves on the 'tail', might wanna head them the other direction as well??  Keep all flows headed in one direction, is what my instincts are telling me

Just thinking out loud..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Can you make a drawing and post the image to show what you are thinking?

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 03:10:05 AM »
Goo,

FWIW, I'll work on it tomorrow. Again I'm no expert but I'll try to convey my ideas. ;) the people who have helped me, always emphasized flow
and gradient. Bigger at the base and smaller as you flow out onto the ends?? I may do a couple tries?? I'm still learning and trying to teach myself,
so take it for  what you will?

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2023, 04:35:31 AM »
  What everyone is MISSING is Goo has made a challenge to see what YOU can come up with in relation to the lines Goo has drawn...  SO show your creativity....

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2023, 07:43:08 PM »

Goo,

don't laugh, but this is a sketch I made, using the 'basics' of your original back bones. I've altered some of the flow
and of course made my own leafs and such. My pencil was too heavy ( or my hand was ) so a lot of the lines cud be
cut a bit lighter for shading and such???  some improvements would be made after leaving it set a bit and then coming
back for another look.. 'example' bottom scroll should have a more arched back bone and the ends a bit closer together,,,I think??

again, not an expert and still trying to learn on my own..< books,video, and the like >

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Goo

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 05:13:46 AM »

Goo,

don't laugh, but this is a sketch I made, using the 'basics' of your original back bones. I've altered some of the flow
and of course made my own leafs and such. My pencil was too heavy ( or my hand was ) so a lot of the lines cud be
cut a bit lighter for shading and such???  some improvements would be made after leaving it set a bit and then coming
back for another look.. 'example' bottom scroll should have a more arched back bone and the ends a bit closer together,,,I think??

again, not an expert and still trying to learn on my own..< books,video, and the like >

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
No never laugh at this because it is how you see it.  I noticed that the c scroll is a bit elongated and the design resolves itself smaller at the end  thank you I 'm grateful.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 07:02:28 AM »
i'm not an engraver but i am an artist and i have to say that nothing in this thread so far looks pleasing, balanced or graceful. ya all should look more at nature.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2023, 07:30:54 AM »
It’s an elongated backbone presented to us, that is hard to place on a longrifle in my view. Length to height is what? Greater than 2:1? On many cheekpiece carvings there’s one main element with some diminished branches. This is perhaps most common. Other designs like Isaac Haines sometimes used are linked scrolls of similar size but not strictly linear.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave B

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 09:28:01 PM »
I think we need to address the OP question how would you  use this frame work to make a design? He is not looking for a critque on his frame work or is it a frame work that would have been used on an origninal. How can you make this into something beautiful and worthy of discussion. Yes we all can be helped by critique but how can we be helped if no one is willing to say and show what they are talking about. To that end here is my use of the frame work presented for us.

Dont tell me  Show me 
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Goo

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 03:55:07 PM »
I think we need to address the OP question how would you  use this frame work to make a design? He is not looking for a critque on his frame work or is it a frame work that would have been used on an origninal. How can you make this into something beautiful and worthy of discussion. Yes we all can be helped by critique but how can we be helped if no one is willing to say and show what they are talking about. To that end here is my use of the frame work presented for us.

Dont tell me  Show me
Hi Dave, Thank you for your comments and the drawing And I apologize for not replying sooner I had been Discouraged by why so many don`t understand the point of the challenge.    Your build on the line is very graceful and slender I like the way you resolve the areas in between the points that the spine diverges and I really like the ending as i fades into the single line .    The hardest part is the layout.  The way you see this is enlightening. Gustavo Hoefs