Author Topic: older Kibler SMR  (Read 2388 times)

Offline 46powerwagon

• Starting Member
older Kibler SMR
« on: January 03, 2023, 05:34:54 PM »
I am wanting to see-handle a Kibler SMR older version with Rice swamped barrel. I would like to do this before I pay 1500+ for a one and not be happy with it. I live in southern IL. So anybody in KY-IND- MO- AR willing to help.  Thanks and Take Care
Gary Meyer
Steady is Quick

Offline Gemmer

Re: older Kibler SMR
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 08:04:44 PM »
I’d give Jim a call and ask what the differences are, if any.

Offline 46powerwagon

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 09:39:05 PM »
I’d give Jim a call and ask what the differences are, if any.
I did call was told little difference. But..... I would like to see for myself.  Thanks for your response.
Steady is Quick

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 11:43:52 PM »
Umm, the barrel?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 12:39:54 AM »
From what I've seen so far, I don't think you should get the kit, Gary. You will not be pleased - just a guess.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 01:09:24 AM »
Essentially the same rifle with a Rice barrel and Chambers Late Ketland lock.   Both high quality components, that many on this forum use in custom building projects themselves.  If this is a finished rifle and your happy with how the rifle looks in pictures and in person, the build quality (no big gaps or assembly issues). It has been finished (stained & finish and metal finish applied is to your liking). and most importantly- it has been cleaned well after shooting!   Those would be my concerns.  Those earlier components would not even be a consideration in my book.  All top quality, if that is what you meant. Kibler was using them in his kits after all. He changed to his own locks and CNC barrels as a way to maintain more control over the supply chain and costs of production.  Not because of inferior quality.
He has stated such before.  If this was an unmade kit, I would have even less concern.  As long as you are good with the numbers.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:14:36 AM by Top Jaw »

Offline 46powerwagon

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 03:28:17 AM »
Essentially the same rifle with a Rice barrel and Chambers Late Ketland lock.   Both high quality components, that many on this forum use in custom building projects themselves.  If this is a finished rifle and your happy with how the rifle looks in pictures and in person, the build quality (no big gaps or assembly issues). It has been finished (stained & finish and metal finish applied is to your liking). and most importantly- it has been cleaned well after shooting!   Those would be my concerns.  Those earlier components would not even be a consideration in my book.  All top quality, if that is what you meant. Kibler was using them in his kits after all. He changed to his own locks and CNC barrels as a way to maintain more control over the supply chain and costs of production.  Not because of inferior quality.
He has stated such before.  If this was an unmade kit, I would have even less concern.  As long as you are good with the numbers.

I know Kibler kits are top notch. I was wanting to know how the older version with the longer and swamped Rice barrel handled.
Steady is Quick

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 05:29:09 AM »
I have an older Kibler SMR that was put together by Jim himself. In fact in his ads it is featured, you can see my last name on the patchbox. Handles like a dream and is the most accurate flintlock I own. Whether an older one or one of his new modlea you can't go wrong with his guns. Not to mention everyone at his operation are great to work with and the pride of workmanship shows in every gun.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline elkhart

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 03:14:21 PM »
I have an older SMR and am just finishing a new one. Both are top quality.

Offline 46powerwagon

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 08:07:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for your first hand knowledge on the older Kibler SMR.
Steady is Quick

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 01:20:01 AM »
I have both types.  The older 46" barrel 36 cal is a hair longer than I like from a loading standpoint.  I am 5'10" tall.  From a handling standpoint I do not feel much difference given the same caliber. 
The 45 cal with the 44" barrel is very lightweight and "hangs" beautifully on the target. 
Jims newer CNC locks are high precision kinetic art.   The older Chambers lock is perfectly good and works very well too. 

Offline 46powerwagon

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 02:23:15 AM »
I have both types.  The older 46" barrel 36 cal is a hair longer than I like from a loading standpoint.  I am 5'10" tall.  From a handling standpoint I do not feel much difference given the same caliber. 
The 45 cal with the 44" barrel is very lightweight and "hangs" beautifully on the target. 
Jims newer CNC locks are high precision kinetic art.   The older Chambers lock is perfectly good and works very well too.

I thank You Sir for your first hand knowledge.
Steady is Quick

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 07:08:10 PM »
I put together one of the older ones in .32, it was a sweet gun, the 46" barrel wasn't a problem but I could see where a 44" barrel would be a little handier.

Offline 46powerwagon

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 08:34:36 PM »
I put together one of the older ones in .32, it was a sweet gun, the 46" barrel wasn't a problem but I could see where a 44" barrel would be a little handier.

[/quote

Very nice Kibler SMR! Is that a walnut stock?   Thanks for sharing.
Steady is Quick

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 03:50:24 AM »
Yep, walnut, it is a bit darker than the picture in the sunlight would suggest.

Offline JEH

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2023, 04:19:55 AM »

Here is an early Kibler Mr. John Schippers put together and dolled up. Bought it from him at the CLA a few years ago, Very slim and trim and light weight .45 cal. I'm in west central Illinois

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2023, 04:45:04 AM »
Oh, ho ho ho - now ain't THAT sweet!! :o
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline 46powerwagon

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 05:40:52 PM »

Here is an early Kibler Mr. John Schippers put together and dolled up. Bought it from him at the CLA a few years ago, Very slim and trim and light weight .45 cal. I'm in west central Illinois

That is one Fancy SMR!!!!! A lot going on everywhere on her.    Thanks for sharing.
Steady is Quick

Offline TDM

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2023, 08:23:18 AM »
I’m currently building a .45 SMR with the GM swamped barrel. I can already tell it will handle like a dream.