Author Topic: Trade gun barrel color  (Read 1001 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Trade gun barrel color
« on: January 09, 2023, 02:04:40 AM »
  If any of you are into Trade guns especially Northwest. What would be your preferred option... Browning, blue or leave it in the white and let it to it's own patina. Barrel that is.... Just curious as to opinions... I'd post a picture but I'm not a professional photographer or builder... It was just a fun project....  Oldtravler

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Re: Trade gun barrel color
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 02:44:07 AM »
Brown, unless it is a Tryon Chiefs grade then blue. Will have an original Tryon chief grade on display at the Ala. show this coming weekend.
The Tryon chiefs grade is a fine handling northwest gun, and the majority were traded into your part of the country to the Ojibwa tribe. Most people think that the Northwest guns were junk. There were some who tried to pass off inferior Fusil. But the Natives told the suppliers just what was wrong, and they wanted those issues corrected. John Jacob Astor was, notorious for that, his 1829 contract stated he wanted a number of his gun made in Belgium but to be marked Barnett with English proofs. The native stated the stocks didn’t have enough “crook” to them . They were referring to the length of pull, those guns were very uncomfortable to bring to shoulder and point. He didn’t correct the problem immediately, but it was corrected eventually
Please post a photo, love those Trade guns.
Bob
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 03:42:32 AM by Rajin cajun »
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline RAT

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 04:02:38 AM »
When I inquired, the staff at the Museum of the Fur Trade informed me that barrels and trigger guards were charcoal blued. Locks were polished bright. None of the parts should be highly polished. One example I read about that was found in "new/unissued" condition states "approximately a 150 grit finish". My own research confirms this, except what we may think of today as "charcoal blued". Some records state "bright blue barrels". This may indicate a lighter heat blue color common on English guns of the time.

Some records indicate that, around the 1790's, "fine guns" (i.e. fowlers) had brown barrels specified. I'd have to go back to Gooding to see if NW guns were specified... but my memory tells me they were not.
Bob

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 04:32:00 AM »
Most of the Northwest trade guns that were imported had blue barrels.  Some were browned, but most were blued.  And I don't recall that any barrels were left in the white.  Locks and triggerguards ere left white. 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 06:08:04 PM »
  Thanks for the information. It pretty much goes with my research as well.
  It is all together except for barrel finish. They are a fun gun to make very simple,  but oh so practical and I'm surprised at how many people want one. 
  Thanks for all the input....   Oldtravler

Offline RAT

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 03:58:07 AM »
Now that North Star West is no longer in business I was hoping Jim Kibler would offer a kit.
Bob