Author Topic: Powder horn...old?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline ntqlvr1948

Powder horn...old?
« on: January 15, 2023, 01:26:10 AM »
I have this powder horn that is very well made. It is scrapd so thin that you can almost see into it. as you can see the plug on the big end is visible thru the horn, and the length is about 8 inches. Any ideas?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Powder horn...old?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 01:52:39 AM »
 Can we see a head on of the butt, tip and one of the other side? Is that 8" tip-to-tip or around the outside curve, also what is the diameter of the butt, I'm trying to get a fell for the actual size. Are those nails or wooden pegs holding the base? From what I see I'd say a pocket/bag horn that has not seen much use but is well done and proportioned, probably not the first one done by this hand.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 01:57:26 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 02:56:04 AM »
Butt end is pegged on with what looks like tiny pegs.  The length ene to end is 8 inches The butt end is 2 inches in diameter

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 05:28:31 AM »
Looks to me like a very well made powder horn, probably a "pocket horn" since there apparently is no button or screw in the plug's nose for strap attachment. It would be nice to see a good photo of the plug, showing its front end, just to make sure there never was a strap attachment device on the nose, since the raised rings on the spout could have retained a strap on that end. Very nice horn, very well made, probably early percussion era ca. 1835-1840.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 05:36:13 AM »
Probably contemporary. Remember “fake” horns have been in production for at least 100 years and probably since the 1876 centennial.
So one much first assume its modern unless it has iron clad provenance and museum collections as NOT iron clad since they were a market for display horns for a long time.
Now a plain horn like this? Could be old but I still would not pay much for it because “could be” in not the same as real.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 11:31:25 AM »
The decorations on the tip look turned and polished. Almost mimics an applied/screw tip Philadelphia horn. I'd say its an old horn for sure. Is the big plug hollowed any too? To me this one looks professionally made.
TC Albert
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 09:13:23 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 06:03:06 AM »
Looks old to me.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 08:13:11 AM »
Looks old to me, too. If I had seen it, I would have bought it as being an 'old' horn. In fact, I think that I may have one or two that are similar and they are old. At least the beetles said they are.  Thank you for posting the photos.
Dick

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 07:45:35 PM »
 Do you have any other Pix? TC