Author Topic: Woodrunner -stock architecture ?  (Read 1176 times)

Online bob in the woods

Woodrunner -stock architecture ?
« on: January 16, 2023, 07:19:29 AM »
I have been looking and looking at this rifle with anticipation of purchasing one.
The more I go over that stock, the more I'm seeing some french influence . Am I totally off my rocker here ?  I just can't help but see some similarities to the N.E.Fowler's I have.   

Online alacran

Re: Woodrunner -stock architecture ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 03:15:50 PM »
I just looked at the photos Bnewberry posted of his woodsrunner, and I see your point. The butt does look quite similar to a NE fowler.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 03:18:56 PM »
Wallace Gusler and others wrote that they see this architecture as strongly influenced by English fowlers and trade guns of the mid 1700s.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 10:35:44 PM »

I haven’t held a lot of English fowlers  or New England fowlers - Ok, I haven’t held any of either with the exception of the fowler in this picture, which I built and  is based on the Roger Lewis fowler. To me, the Woodsrunner (the unfinished gun in the picture) is a lot lighter - almost “petite” compared to that gun and the Kibler Colonial, also pictured. I do see the connection in the architecture, but feel the WR is probably closer to a trade gun? I haven’t handled any of those either, but pictures I’ve seen make it appear those might be lighter like the WR.
David Shotwell