Author Topic: dvd for building from scratch  (Read 1658 times)

Offline monro1066

dvd for building from scratch
« on: April 09, 2023, 02:34:06 PM »
Recomendations for a good Gun Builder DVD ?
TY in advance ...Don

Offline Hatchet-Jack

Re: dvd for building from scratch
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 03:21:40 PM »
Hershel House's Building a Kentucky Rifle Part 1 & 2. They are available from Muzzleloader Magazine.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 03:22:07 PM »
Mike Millers video
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 03:32:27 PM »
Best i have seen is Mike Millers building the Boone gun video.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 04:29:09 PM »
I second hatchet jacks recommendation

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII

Offline monro1066

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 04:44:20 PM »
Thankyou all .........its really appreciated .....D

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 05:38:40 PM »
monro1066,
If you want the most complete longrifle building videos out there, go to Rumble.com and look up Bill Raby. Look for his flintlock builds and he has a very detailed build series on there for a Tennessee rifle, a Lancaster Isaac Haines longrifle, a 4 Bore flintlock rifle and a Maryland longrifle reminiscent of a John Armstrong rifle. His videos are the most detailed and explanatory that I have ever seen. Links to his Maryland Rifle Build are currently being posted right here on ALR under gun building. Oh, and the best part of it is they are FREE and you can go back to study them any time or place you want. Good luck.
elkhorne

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 07:15:13 PM »
  I'll second the Herschel House videos. The main reason is Herschel shows you how to build a gun without a whole machine shop. He does it with a minimum of tools.
  No doubt the others are very good but I'm partial to Hershels. Because they helped me.

Offline dadybear1

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 02:17:48 PM »
HERSHAL'S GOOD--I USED HIS AND RON ELHERTS YEARS BACK WHEN I GOT STARTED!!!  TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 03:10:05 PM »

Offline flehto

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2023, 03:32:01 PM »
My first LR from a blank was first cut  w/ a hand  circular saw and I was lucky it was saved.....and waaaaay too wood was left. By the 2nd blank build I had a 14" band saw and very little wood was left to the rasps.......a big rime saver.  It's amazing how   quickly a blank takes the nearly refined  shape of a stock. When the 3rd  blank was sawed, there wasn't much wood to be removed....lesson learned. .......Fred

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 04:24:38 PM »
The only video that I am aware of for "building from scratch" is Wallace Gusler's "Gunsmith of colonial Williamsburg" 1969. You can find it on Youtube. However, I suspect what you are looking for is building from a blank. I am not familiar with all that are available but I suspect that there are no bad ones. Having said that, IMO it would be a good idea to get several as there are many variations and methods for almost all functions and if you view videos from several different makers you can glean those methods that best suit your personal preferences. Just as an example of what I mean, many (most?) makers stab in the outline of their relief carvings using the various gouge circumferences to accomplish nice, even sweeping scrolls. I never could get that to work for me so I chase the outline with a V parting tool. Two different ways to accomplish the same thing. Many makers cut the outline for their inlays with an exacto knife or something similar. I stab in the outline. If you only study the methods of ONE maker, you will probably get to where you want to be but you MAY end up struggling to adopt a method in one aspect or two that would be easier for you to do it a different way. IMHO, getting the architectural elements correct is a right or wrong proposition. HOW you achieve it is malleable. Bottom line, don't limit your learning to just one "mentor". There is a wealth of methods and information out there, seek various sources.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 04:28:15 PM by Cody Tetachuk »

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2023, 04:34:57 AM »
There are numerous commercially sold dvds on building muzzleloader from those of Hershel to Ron Ehlert’s series (was available through Jim Chambers) to Peter Alexander’s multi-dvd series and finally to Mike Miller’s great series. Those are all great references but they also cost money. On the other hand beck when I started with my first muzzleloader, there was only one good book and it was William Buchele’s Recreating the American Longrifle available to us. There were no videos or even audio sources to learn from. Now we have these numerous commercial videos that as Cody I think said, if you just study and practice with one, you may hamstring yourself and miss another technique that fits your talents, tools and abilities better.
That said, there are also several very good learning sources online now that are led by Bill Raby’s multiple series of rifle builds on Rumble, then there is The Grumpy Gunsmith of Williamsburg with Clay Smith, then a number of them on the NMLRA website and other lesser know makers on YouTube such as Homemade History and several others. Additionally, Mike Brooks has a very good build tutorial on this website and you can even print it off and have a book for reference.
I am amazed today at all the reference sources, tools and video sources for learning and building muzzleloader. You guys starting out these days are very blessed to have all the learning sources at your disposal. Good luck and enjoy the study, learning and building fun!

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2023, 07:20:38 AM »
I found Gunsmiths of Grenvile by Peter Alaxander to be beneficial as well as Mike Brooks tutorial which was linked here.  Everyone has their own ways and own steps to the process.  I have various books and videos which I pull bits and pieces from to get me through the process. 

Offline c deperro

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 02:54:56 AM »
American Pioneer Videos .The Mark Silver stocking videos. The Mike Miller videos. The Herschel House videos. Others also can all be found there . And they are all excellent .

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 04:33:04 AM »
I addition to videos, I also would recommend “Gunsmith of Grenville County” .     it’s well written, very well illustrated, and easy to follow.   There are also several other well regarded printed works  kn building available.
If you are aware of any other builders in your area that you can observe ( I think most would be happy to let someone do so…..I certainly would) try to make their acquaintance and observe them working.  A picture is worth a thousand words, but looking over a shoulder when something is done so worth ten thousand.
Mike Mullins

Offline TDM

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 05:53:49 AM »
Second to the Gunsmith of Grenville County.

Offline monro1066

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 02:17:40 PM »
So much help !...and so appreciated .....TY for it ......Don