Author Topic: Shot Snake Project  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Shot Snake Project
« on: November 20, 2022, 04:24:49 AM »
I’ve been wanting to make a leather shot snake for awhile and finally won an auction on eBay with an Irish style head.  The spout is missing the keeper spring and was a filthy mess but,  it’s cleaning up well.  I should be able to make the spring from an old hacksaw blade or steel nail.  Has anyone else made one of these?

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Shot Snake Project
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 04:37:05 AM »
The spring or the shot belt, Mike?

Yes, made both.

I really like the English top, as its faster, but with a real long barrel, I think the detachable Irish has an advantage.
The normal Irish top doesn't have  a cut- off like yours and mine.  these are a bit later.
You had to use it right with the straight Irish top, or you could lose all your shot in a hurry!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 07:07:40 AM »
That’s a beautiful setup and gun.  II was asking about the spring.  I made one tonight that works but I’m going to try another that’s a little better looking. 

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 05:13:50 PM »
Right, the snake or the spring? A flat leaf rake tine might be just right with a little fitting. I made this snake. It’s construction is detailed in the 2019 Sept/Oct issue of Muzzleloader. I used an English head but the snake would be the same either way.
TC

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 05:18:15 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 06:05:05 PM »
That looks very bonny work, Mike.
very neatly done.
there are different styles. Col Hawker's shot belt had the top end tapering into the belt, as per mine.  there are not many right and wrongs, as different patterns came and went.

Again good work!
On the spring, I seem to recall I made the circular piece separately and soldered it in place. Cant think why now without digging it out!

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 07:25:33 PM »
 I made and used one for several years. They work great, but you should drill the measure for a lanyard of some sort. The measures are easy to lose, and hard to replace. The stitching around the neck fails pretty quickly, and is hard to fix. If I were to make one now, I would glue it, and then saddle stitch it with something besides imitation sinew.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 08:25:48 PM »
Thanks for information. I need to figure out how to secure the spring.  The problem I’m running into with a hacksaw blade or rake tine is the filing in the notch.  There’s not much metal to play with. I also need to secure it somehow with a rivet to the spout.  Friction isn’t holding it.   This little simple  project has taken a turn.  I’m starting to understand why they are $80 for a new one.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 04:35:43 AM »
If I remember right Mike, that is why I used a separate piece for the disk you depress. the rest was thicker spring material.
Mine's out in the shed I think, but dont recall a rivet or anything. Let me see if I can find it tomorrow..

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 07:17:14 AM »
Thanks Pukka but I think I got it.  After 8 or 9 attempts at bending a notch in the spring, filing in a notch, pounding in a notch, breaking and losing pieces on my messy desk, I have one that works well.  I read your post and stacked two pieces of hacksaw blade and soldered them together.  The stack made the notch I needed.  I used a checkering file to spice it up. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 09:04:19 AM »
Good job Mike.
Looks very tidy!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 07:04:55 PM »
Here's the one I'm attempting to copy.  It looks like it has a lanyard attached to the spout. 

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 08:45:53 PM »
If you don’t put a lanyard on the spout, it almost guaranteed your going to either be shopping for one, or, making one. Ask me how I know?

Hungry Horse

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 09:52:34 PM »
I like the idea of two layers of hack saw blade.  Good thinking.
About 20 years ago or so, I had a run of bad springs on the Irish Shot Heads.  Subsequently, I ordered about 20 extra springs when I placed my next order with Pedersoli.
No idea if October Country still has any of them left, but it would be worth a phone call to find out.
John (Bigsmoke)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 06:43:46 AM »
Thanks for the lead Bigsmoke.  The spring  I made seems to be holding up.  I’m on to making the leather patterns. I like the design in the painting but,  I don’t think the guy is 6’3”.  If he is,  there’s a lot of waisted space in that shot snake.  Anyhow,  I’m going to make mine similar but probably not 24” long.  It will be closer to 17”. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 07:21:01 AM »
Mike,
With the normal Irish top, you need enough room in the shot belt to tip the shot away from the spout.
With the spring cut -off, this doesn't matter!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 08:02:27 PM »
Mike, did you finish your shot snake yet?  Curious to see what you came up with. Here’s one I made a couple years ago, with an English head.  I saw one similar on Darrell Lang’s website, and really liked the style.  Mine holds about 1 1/2 pounds of shot (enough for 12-15 loads).

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 08:10:24 PM »
I’m impressed. Looks great.
Andover, Vermont

Offline 19112tap

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 09:40:57 PM »
Nice looking, I've often thought about making one myself maybe I will have to. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2023, 07:05:21 AM »
Mike, did you finish your shot snake yet?  Curious to see what you came up with. Here’s one I made a couple years ago, with an English head.  I saw one similar on Darrell Lang’s website, and really liked the style.  Mine holds about 1 1/2 pounds of shot (enough for 12-15 loads).

Greg

That’s a beautiful setup Greg.  Hope you’re doing well. I’ve cut out the pattern for the shot snake but I’ve been making other modern necessities.  My belt was looking ratty and I noticed I  had a pile of 16 different ratty looking retail store bought belts so i bought some Herman Oak leather and made me one.  That led to needing a black one too.  My wallet was about shot so I’m finishing up one using Horween leather.  These should last a while. My wife is mentioning purses.  To think this all started one night reading a couple posts on this forum is mind boggling. 

Mike

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2023, 07:30:47 PM »
I hear ya, Mike…it seems like there’s always something else that needs to be made…belts, wallets, purses, totes, journal covers…and then the accoutrements for our rifles and fowling pieces. I followed the white rabbit down that black hole, and it’s lead to cartridge belts, holsters, learning carving and tooling…seems it never ends.  There’s ALWAYS something else to be made from leather, and always something new to learn on YouTube.  As I’m sure you’ve heard Chuck Dorsey say, “good luck with your projects!”

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline skratch

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2023, 08:10:27 AM »
The "shot snake" is new to me. I made a pouch as a youngster many years ago, just a simple leather bag with a walnut spout and plug, used it till I retired the old double. I think I still might have somewhere.
Very interesting thread. Never too old to learn.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2023, 04:41:58 PM »
The "shot snake" is new to me. I made a pouch as a youngster many years ago, just a simple leather bag with a walnut spout and plug, used it till I retired the old double. I think I still might have somewhere.
Very interesting thread. Never too old to learn.

That’s exactly how it all starts with me.   I see a thread of something new and then I have to make it.  I’m trying my best to stay away from the jaeger threads!!  :D