Author Topic: William Bailes double barrel replica  (Read 20028 times)

Offline bobw

Re: William Bailes double barrel replica
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2023, 05:13:46 PM »
Looks good Hank!  Amazing what one can do without a mill if he really puts his mind to it.
Bob

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2023, 01:27:44 PM »
Thanks Bob. Who needs a mill anyway eh?

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2023, 04:33:28 PM »
Looks good Hank!  Amazing what one can do without a mill if he really puts his mind to it.
Bob

And be so tired as to be almost non functional for a week >:(.Figuring out the hard way to  do old tasks even when machines are on the bench never made sense to me.Bill Large never used a walk back&forth rifler in his career until we built one dedicated to32 caliber gain twist barrels and it moved on precision slides and stabilized by bearings.Getting the most work done with the least amount of S.E.A* work is my way.
Bob Roller   *S.E.A. means Sweat-Effort-Aggravation.   

Offline bobw

« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2023, 05:24:42 PM »
Bob, my comment doesn’t apply to me!  I have a fully equipped shop, 13 inch lathe, Bridgeport mill, surface grinder, 20 inch bandsaw, tool grinder…even have a shaper and die filer. ;)  And believe me…I use them.
Bob

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2023, 12:02:31 PM »
Bob

And be so tired as to be almost non functional for a week >:(.Figuring out the hard way to  do old tasks even when machines are on the bench never made sense to me.Bill Large never used a walk back&forth rifler in his career until we built one dedicated to32 caliber gain twist barrels and it moved on precision slides and stabilized by bearings.Getting the most work done with the least amount of S.E.A* work is my way.
Bob Roller   *S.E.A. means Sweat-Effort-Aggravation.

Mr. Roller, what can be said here?

Bob, my comment doesn’t apply to me!  I have a fully equipped shop, 13 inch lathe, Bridgeport mill, surface grinder, 20 inch bandsaw, tool grinder…even have a shaper and die filer. ;)  And believe me…I use them.
Bob

You do have a nice shop Bob. Machine tools obviously save time and effort but it's hard for me to justify the expense of store bought equipment to build the occasional gun or two. So, we'll keep on scratching out parts with the tools and equipment available no matter how long it takes. We'll keep on posting the process and steps taken to make parts like this hopefully to let others that don't have or can't afford machine tools know, and see, what can be accomplished with minimal tools and equipment.

Now, about the locks -i've decided to go with Siler internals and modify the frizzens much the same as smart dog did with his Siler to English style conversion. We'll fit L&R hammers to the tumblers and make new frizzen springs. Lock plate proper will be scratched out of steel plate. I have yet to order the lock parts so in the meantime have started construction of the investment cast equipment to cast the silver hardware for this double. Even if it doesn't make sense to some. I'll start a thread in the Shop Made Tools forum to let everyone know (and see) how this goes and keep it out of the gun building forum.

Hank

« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 01:07:38 PM by Hank01 »
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2023, 03:16:36 PM »
t sounds like you're off to a good start with the locks and using pre existing parts from the Silers and L&R is wise.Buying new machinery IS costly and now it means China like the saws recently discussed here.I bought a new Clausing tool room milling machine in 1967 and before that a heavy  that,a floor model drill press in 1963. I still have the first machine I ever bought,a 12x36 Craftsman/Atlas lathe and wished I had bought a bigger lathe. did enjoy the bench work with files and small saws.A new Atlas 618 in 1964 and paid for it with the only $500 bill I ever laid eyes  on and I got it from a Canadian at Friendship that year.Another nearly new 618 was given to me by the son of a deceased fr friend about 20 years ago. A 10x 36 Atlas built in 1932 with babbit bearings instead of Timkens and I have made bronze bearings for car transmissions with it and want to extend thanks to GM for making the 350 series transmissions that kept me busy using the old 10x36 to redo the stator supports that formed the back of the oil pump.A 5 minute fix for $25 ;D ;D.Germany kept me making locks for a long time and many thanks to L&R for selling the externals for their small Mantons that was well liked for target pistols there.The English styled target caplocks came later along with the schuetzen styles,again a German item as were to triggers to match.To insist on getting paid for the peculiar skills to make these parts didn't bother them one bit.
Please keep us posted on the William Bailes project.Reading about your barrel making for this job was fascinating beacuse you made a lathe to make them with.  :o.
Bob Roller
PS: How many of you guys and girls are as grateful for Spell Check warnings while banging on a key board?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2023, 03:58:06 PM »
Odd, I can do all this stuff with hand tools except turn the barrels.
 I've watched machinists do all these types of things with their various machinery and have noticed that for the most part I could have the job done by hand before the machinist has the job set up.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bobw

« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2023, 04:25:54 PM »
Mike, you said a mouth full of truth there!   ;D
Even with all the machine tools I find many times it’s much easier to grab a file to finish or shape a part.  But, I build single-shot cartridge guns as a hobbie and it sure is nice to be able to precisely fit the many parts using these machines.
Bob

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2023, 09:39:59 PM »
Mike, you said a mouth full of truth there!   ;D
Even with all the machine tools I find many times it’s much easier to grab a file to finish or shape a part.  But, I build single-shot cartridge guns as a hobbie and it sure is nice to be able to precisely fit the many parts using these machines.
Bob
Yes,such as head spacing and reaming chambers,GOOD accurate dove tails and muzzle crowning for a projectile with a real base.
Viva Pope,Zichang and Freund!! ;D
Bob Roller