Author Topic: Grinsdales Fowlers questions  (Read 950 times)

Offline P.Bigham

Grinsdales Fowlers questions
« on: January 24, 2023, 07:05:29 AM »
Looking through Grinsdale Fowlers book I have a question about the long nose caps on some page 101 and one missing on page 105.  Others are on 108 ,109 and 110. Any idea why this was done ? Thanks just curious
" not all who wander are lost"

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Grinsdales Fowlers questions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 03:33:16 PM »
Hi,
I can only speculate but it may be that the stock was cut back for a bayonet and the long cap added later a a decorative device to cover the bare barrel when its military service was over.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 04:54:16 PM »
I’ve got to decide how to approach the fore end on a club butt fowler based on CB-6, my current build. The nosecap does look like secondary work but is also attractive. I think Dave’s thought is probably correct.

Paul, are you planning a club-butt fowler? Mine will use the Colerain turkey choke barrel. Have to finish it by May 1.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 05:04:53 PM »
I saw one that Ken Gahagan did - very attractive. Really makes the gun stand out.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 06:13:14 PM »
I saw one that Ken Gahagan did - very attractive. Really makes the gun stand out.
Everything he does is like that. All of a sudden there’s something I didn’t know I craved. Nobody better at what he does.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 07:02:45 PM »
Everything he does is like that. All of a sudden there’s something I didn’t know I craved. Nobody better at what he does.

So true Rich
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 07:51:24 PM »
Iam planning on building a smoothbore with a FCI 48 inch barrel.  I have a nice Freedie Harrison stock but it's fir a 44 inch barrel. Being cheap I was looking for creative way to use the stock.  Has anyone seen an original with a piece stock?
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 03:34:53 AM »
Speaking specifically about CB-6 , I cut back the stock of my 10 bore NE fowling gun to accommodate a B Bess bayonet.  It fits pretty well.  I was considering doing something similar to a 12 bore NE Fowling gun, but the barrel was not of sufficient OD.  [ ended up with a plug bayonet for that one ]  I'm leaning toward the brass end of barrel enhancement being added to be able to fit a standard B Bess bayonet. There is even a lug showing on the bottom at what looks to be the right place.  The gun on page 109 appears to have a similar lug .
Just a thought  :)