Author Topic: Ramrod hole drill  (Read 1983 times)

Offline JLayne

Ramrod hole drill
« on: January 21, 2023, 03:43:22 PM »
Hello all,

I am working on a .45 cal. York County kit where I have come to find that the ramrod hole is about 2” too short (it should be to the depth of the blue tape in the attached photo). I don’t have a ramrod hole drill nor welding/machinist tools and skills to make one. I also don’t see any in stock online at the usual places (TOW, MLBS). Is there anyone on here who could make one for a fee that I could contact?

Thanks,
Jay

Offline Bill Raby

Offline JLayne

Re: Ramrod hole drill
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 04:38:42 PM »
Thanks, Bill.

Offline elkhart

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 06:20:32 PM »
Another option may be to router out the last 2 inches near the breach. Or cut it by hand. It will be missing the web above it for a couple of inches, but you could replace it with some filler. Just be sure to put some kind of release agent on the rod if you go that route! Dixie used to sell stocks with the ram rod hole routered out.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 10:49:14 PM »
Harbor Freight has 48” bits. Not very good as bits, but they will work for extending a rr hole.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 11:09:28 PM »
Any chance the front lock bolt is blocking the hole?
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 08:02:19 AM »
Any chance the front lock bolt is blocking the hole?
True wisdom at work  ;D

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 08:25:23 AM »
You might try my thread about rrdrills over on "over the back fence". Lots of info there.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline JLayne

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 11:02:32 AM »
Hi Dan,
No, it’s not the front lock bolt. I checked it without the bolt in place, same result.

Offline skratch

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 11:25:19 AM »
Jay, I'm new here at the forums and just wanted to offer my suggestion. My first build I made a drill from a long rod of the desired diameter, heated one end and flattened, filed the edges to size and put about a 20 or so degree point, then filed to a cutting point.
Worked great and I had it for later use.
Just a suggestion, and good luck!

Forgot to add, I flattened about 2" and after filing to size rounded the edges, it makes a guide that way.

John,,,
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:34:25 AM by skratch »

Offline parve

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 05:58:12 PM »
MLBS shows all three sizes of ramrod drills they carry in stock, they are among items 101-125 or page 5 under the "Tools" category. I also lack the tools, knowledge, and confidence to build my own RR drill, so I opted for their 5/16" drill for my .32 build.
Phil A.

Offline elkhart

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 08:17:54 PM »
Wow, $217 for a rr drill bit. Now I know why my brother in law stole mine!

Offline SDH

• Starting Member
    • Fine Gunmaking
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 01:53:43 AM »
Gun Drill type ramrod drill. Milled quarter flute, shaped end almost 90*, filed relief bevel. Cuts on the tiny flat end. Soldered 36" drill rod to extension for overall 42" length.

Offline JLayne

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 03:00:07 PM »
Hello again,

Thank you all for your replies. Upon pondering the issue a bit more yesterday, I found that while inletting the mainspring, I had broken through into the ramrod hole. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the stock just an forward of the trigger plate and a bit forward of where the face of the breech plug ends, and discovered that the ramrod hole is, in fact, deep enough. Further investigation revealed that a chip of wood had gotten lodged in the hole about and two inches forward of the bottom of the hole. A bit of scraping around in the hole with a dog leg chisel from inside the break though in the main spring inlet, along with a can of compressed air got the wood chip dislodged. All works well now.

In any event, the thread wasn’t a waste, as I want to try building from a blank in the near future and am going to need a ramrod drill for that project.

Thanks again.
Jay

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 05:44:14 PM »
You can move a Ramrod hole over or down as described here.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=258.msg5716#msg5716

I don't use anything but the gun drill type hole drills once properly started they will run where aimed. Just be sure its aimed properly.

RR hole scraper

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline SDH

• Starting Member
    • Fine Gunmaking
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 01:27:11 AM »
Dan,
I have made and successfully used a similar tool on someone else's gun.
But my Gun Drills have always run true.
SDH

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 05:20:56 AM »
Dan,
I have made and successfully used a similar tool on someone else's gun.
But my Gun Drills have always run true.
SDH
So do my gun drills. I have some I have made from cold rolled rod from the hardware store and then either used soft or casehardened the tip. Last one I made was water hardening drill rod. But it was only 36” so I had to add some to the non-cutting end.
I first used the scraper on one I improperly aimed the rod on and it was a little high and interfered with the front lock bolt.
I just used it again on a Kibler Colonial to simply enlarge the hole a little to loosen the fit. Hole was fine I basically just did it for the heck of it. After tapering the rod to the rod tip.  Rather than take the rod down farther I did 5 or so passes with the scraper rotating a little each pass.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline petejc

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 09:41:19 AM »
Elkhart,
That $217.00 bit is for the 3/4 " dia. bit....don't think he'll be needin that big a ram rod....lol
U.S. Navy 61 to 65, Pa. State Trooper 30 yrs, NRA Life member

Offline john bohan

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2023, 01:16:03 AM »
I just ordered a ramrod hole drill from Muzzle loader builder supply,$33.