Author Topic: Inset Breech for a flintlock Shotgun  (Read 777 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Inset Breech for a flintlock Shotgun
« on: January 22, 2023, 07:05:44 PM »
I am looking for information about using an inset breech for a double barrel rifle project that I am planning. I was going to try to buy William Brockway's book which I think covers the subject but at $490+ for the book I will just have to do without it.

Anyone got any info that they can share?

Thanks, Jim
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline bobw

Re: Inset Breech for a flintlock Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 07:16:57 PM »
I’ve got the book.  If you want I can get the info you need and email it to you.
Bob

Offline rtadams

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 07:47:36 PM »
1-22-23

bama,

I have posted the referenced book for sale.

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 12:14:57 AM »
Jim, that style of breech plug (Manton patent 1792) is not that hard to make. Indepedant of the type of barrel, round vs octagon, the breech plug is made 1 1/2" or so longer past the threaded part to mill in the flat and shape the breech plug hook. The lock plate has to be modified to fit both the flat and step. The step usually falls at the frizzen pivot of the lock plate so most, if not all off the shelf locks will not work without some heavy modification to the bolster. Hope this doesn't sound like a shameless plug but this topic is covered in complete detail in my book The Classic English Double Barrel. Not sure how this will look on here but this page from my book may shed more light on the subject:

Hope this helps!
Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.