Author Topic: Patent breach question  (Read 765 times)

Offline Tim Ault

Patent breach question
« on: January 23, 2023, 03:03:07 AM »
Ok I bought a 50 cal barrel from a member  and it came with a patent breach installed , not my choice as I would have preferred a regular flat type I’m used to using . My question is as far as ignition with a flintlock are there any cons or downfalls to using it instead of switching it to a regularly breach plug which I’m assuming you can swap out?  This for a guy I’m building a rifle for.  What say you all ?

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
Re: Patent breach question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 03:13:32 AM »
What type of plug is it now? If it's a "standard" percussion type plug then yes, it can be swapped for a flint type plug. No downfall of either one. It depends on the period and style of the gun it's going in.

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 03:16:24 AM »
I’m not real familiar with them but it’s not a snail type percussion breach. It’s just straight same dia of the barrel about an inch long  have not unbreached  it yet

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 03:28:55 AM »
Some of those have a 1/4 inch dia. anti chamber drilled in them. I like to open that up to some thing like 3/8, then cone/funnel the entrance of the breech anti chamber so when powder is poured down it has less chance of bridging up at the entrance. The chambered plug has more room behind the ball to trickle powder in behind the ball if you try to load with out powder.  ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 03:36:58 AM »
As SmyleeG. says, there is always THAT! It just needs to be drilled and tapped for a vent. I suggest a White Lightning liner, from Jim Chambers.
boring it out from the front end if not already done, is also a good suggestion.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 08:52:16 PM »
Thanks all. I will unbreach it and proceed from there