Author Topic: Canvas Double bags  (Read 5966 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Canvas Double bags
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:58:53 PM »
In the Jan/Feb issue of Muzzleloader magazine, TC Albert wrote a great article on "Market Hunters' Canvas Double Pouch".  Lately I've been wanting to build myself a bag to carry extra stuff while I'm shooting or hunting, and I remembered his article.
I had a nice piece of very heavy cotton canvas big enough to do the job, and lots of denim patch material for a lining, so i read his article a couple more times, and went to work.
On this bag I did not turn it inside out, but chose to just sew it flat, and I confess that for most of it, I used my wife's sewing machine, rather than hand stitch it.  There were areas where there were just too many layers of canvas and denim, so I had no choice, but all the lay out and basting was done on a machine.  I used an old wool sash for the shoulder strap - adds a dash of colour to an otherwise plain guy.  Here's how it turned out...

Now I had a narrow strip of canvas left over, so I decided I'd make a smaller version "en suite" as a shooting pouch for my new to me smoothie.  This one I sews entirely on the machine, turning the pouches to make a rounder seam along the edges of the double bags.  Again, I lined it with the dame denim, saddle stitched on the leather tab and strap, and the buffalo horn button, as on the other bag.  It is 8" deep and 8 1/2" wide and holds a lot of stuff.  I really like it. 
Thanks very much to T. C. Albert for the design and inspiration.  This is just another example of how well received your work is.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Trkdriver99

Re: Canvas Double bags
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:37:12 PM »
That is a fine looking set of bags. Just 40 lashes for using a machine.  :o I hope Santa will bring me a new one for Christmas(Machine) ;D. I have some really heavy canvas that would make a fine bag or two.

Ronnie

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:58:01 PM »
Thanks Ronnie.  I boiled the canvas in a big canner with 50 (count them - 50!) tea bags.  I'm surprised that it didn't come out darker, but I did run it through the cold rinse cycle on the washing machine.  But a great big plus - the canvas came out nice and soft.
I didn't apply the bees wax as Mr. Albert suggested, since I don't expect to be subjecting it to too much nasty weather.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Dancy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:07:02 AM »
That turned out nice, I might have to try one too. I have some hemp fabric, wonder if that would work?

James

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 02:00:49 AM »
That turned out nice, I might have to try one too. I have some hemp fabric, wonder if that would work?

James

Any heavy fabric will work just fine, nice job Taylor, now take it out and bloody it up so it looks like it should!

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 02:30:55 AM »
I nearly did.  Sewing the horn button on, on the very last stitch, I ran the glover's needle way into my thumb, and of course, started to bleed.  I thought about it, but didn't mark the bag.  And I agree, Mr. Albert suggests denim jean material, or Carhards as a source of material.
And thanks for the positive feedback.  Perhaps I'll show it to a nice mule deer buck before too much longer.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:31:28 AM »
Patina earned by honest filth, yup. My favorite way to age stuff!

I'm inspired. Gotta give it a try. That issue has remained handy long after intervening issues have found their way to the archives.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 02:34:10 AM »
 Good looking bag, they do come in handy.

Tim C.

PS: My wife USED to have a sewing machine, know what I mean :)

Offline RonT

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 03:03:43 AM »
If you know any shotshell reloaders, the shot bags make a good source.
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 04:33:33 AM »
Thank you very much for the kind words D.Taylor. Your pouches look fantastic, and should serve you for a long time, that canvas just lasts and lasts...

In a pinch, if good fresh canvas cant be rounded up, ripping open an other-wise used up, detached pant leg will provide some good material for a folded bag too, even if you have to patch the knee first it would just add more character...faded brown carharts are perfect, and if theres any thing left when a guy is about to throw away a pair, he could consider making one of these bags?

Thanks you again very much for your comments, you made my day...
TCA   
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 07:07:08 AM »
When the knees are blown out, the back of the leg is still useable. ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Jefferson58

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 04:21:50 PM »
Very nice work Taylor. You did a great job on them, and I do not think the use of the sewing machine hurts anything.

I made one of those also after reading Tim's article, and really love it. Don't tell anyone, but I used a machine too for those looong stitch runs. This pouch probably gets carried more than anything else these days, and not just as a shot pouch.

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
Nice bags Taylor.  How big is the first one?
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 02:46:11 AM »
Thanks Brian.  I used them both today, and they served very well indeed.  Temperature just at freezing and light blowing snow.  There's no waterproofing on the bags, but they did not get wet.
The tote bag is 12 1/4" deep X 11 3/4" wide.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Leatherbelly

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 05:15:51 PM »
   Nice smooth gun also! hehehe

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 10:12:51 PM »
Taylor great looking bags.  I really like the idea of the larger 'possibles' bag because it comes in handy when hunting the larger 4 footed critters.  You get to bring a tumpline, small bag axe, etc.   

Hmmm, come to think of it, the lining you used looks like a 3 piece I used to own from the, er, a long time ago. 

Ps. love the rigs too. 

Great job!

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."