Author Topic: Massachusetts Militia Power Horn  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Jennison

• Starting Member
Massachusetts Militia Power Horn
« on: January 24, 2023, 11:42:45 PM »
I was taking stock of my stuff and I thought I'd show a "Massachusetts Militia" powder horn I'd had Scott & Cathy Sibley make.   The owner's name is under glass in the butt. The horn is a rendering of a rare example that saw action at Concord Bridge on April 19, 1775.  It has been aged to look the part and has a nice double-twist. 

Jennison
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:38:21 PM by Jennison »

Offline Top Jaw

Re: Massachusetts Militia Power Horn
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 11:59:55 PM »
Nice horn.  Love the Sibley’s work. And the 1774 date.
I like to put dates like 1773, 74, 75 on Rev War horns.  I figure most prudent men would have recognized and interpreted the signs of the times leading up to that conflict.  And they would have made or commissioned a horn - and had a gun and supplies at the ready, ahead of time.  Whether to be prepared for actual war/militia service, or for protecting their family and property if fighting were to come here and happen close to home. 

One I made for my son with a ‘75 date.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:17:02 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 01:48:18 AM »
I have a Massachusetts original that is very similar in structure.  It does not have the glass plug but does have a date carved into the base plug.

Offline Jennison

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 08:08:19 PM »
Here's an example of an original glass-butt powder horn.  Oliver Buttrick was an 18 year old minuteman from Concord, MA.  Inked paper under glass.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 09:54:21 PM »
Great stuff. The originals could be posted in the Antique Accoutrements area where folks studying originals could see them.
Andover, Vermont