Author Topic: Lancaster Gunsmiths  (Read 4018 times)

msmith

Lancaster Gunsmiths
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:49:45 AM »
I was searching the net minutes ago and found something interesting.Under Lancaster History ,It tells of the time about 1775 that the Commitee of safety requested that the gunmakers of Lancaster (probably other areas)  produce muskets for the War .If they refused their names would be put in the minutes and they would be considered enemies of their country.As such would have their gunsmith tools taken from them and not be allowed to practice their trade.I am sure many of you already knew this,but maybe for some of the novices like me ,it may be news.Thanks to all the Veterans.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Lancaster Gunsmiths
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 06:22:08 AM »
That's interesting information that you have presented. If possible, it would be nice if you could "copy and paste" the web address for the Lancaster information, to your posting above. Someone might like to read the original source to get additional details. Thanks for posting. Shelby Gallien

msmith

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »
I did a google  search for Peter Gonter. On the 3rd page at bottom ,it says pdf The Lancaster Rifles.I clicked that.Try a google search "pdf The Lancasters Rifles" It is a interesting article.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:43:58 AM by msmith »

jwh1947

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »
Lead weights from clocks were also comandeered from the general public by the Committee of Safety. 

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 06:51:28 PM »
I believe when we look at the source documents we will find that the law/regulation requiring Pennsylvania gunsmiths to turn their work toward military Arms was colony wide. In some areas inspectors actually visited shops to see what work was going on. If it is like most laws passed by the colonial legislatures during the early war years enforcement was not uniform from county to county.
I have heard that some gunsmiths simply stopped working at their trade because their religious beliefs prohibited their making weapons of war while others seem to have left PA and moved to colonies that respected their beliefs and allowed them to continue to build what they chose.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

jwh1947

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:44:47 PM »
Gary, we seem to have  read  some of the same history.  Good recap of probabilities.  Proclamations of the Committee were likely interpreted and applied by the local militia commanders on an as-needed basis.  The Bill of Rights was yet to be, and the war was the focus.

Not focused on in most public school history books is the fact that not all colonists were subscribers to the patriotic cause, and that Tories were present in substantial (in some regions a majority) numbers.  Up around my home in central PA there weren't too many Brit supporters, but down in Bucks, Chester and Montgomery counties, not to mention Phila. proper, Tories were like air pollution...they were everywhere.  Some farmers sold their grain to the British forces while Washington starved at Valley Forge, because the Brits were paying in pounds sterling while the Patriots were paying in Continental Script, mere promissory notes that said the bearer would get paid, if and when the revolutionary forces were successful in winning the war.  Such was the backdrop that the Committee of Safety had dealt to them.  Lancaster, being a gun production center, would have reasonably been under maximum scrutiny, regarding expectations.  JWH