Author Topic: Patent Breech and Layout  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Ats5331

Patent Breech and Layout
« on: January 25, 2023, 08:50:12 PM »
Good afternoon gentlemen,

So I got myself an Ed Rayl barrel that has a patent Breech. I have never laid out or built a rifle with one of these before.

Can someone walk me through how i should go about laying out the rifle? Should I remove the breech to determine where the touchhole will go?

May sound like a dumb question, but I am curious how I can go about planning this build the RIGHT way!!

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Patent Breech and Layout
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 09:35:56 PM »
Flintlock or percussion? Sorry I just noticed you mention a touch hole. Touch hole in the bottom of the anti-chamber. Cone or funnel the entrance of the anti-chamber. Make sure the touch hole is in the right spot for the rear of the  lock fence to be at or very near the rear of the barrel assembly.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 09:56:10 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 09:44:08 PM »
If the breech has a chamber in it, a hole drilled to a certain depth then leave it in the barrel and you can determine by the chamber where to put the lock and the flash hole.A Chambers liner will be needed or something similar.

Bob Roller

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 10:04:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice, to be completely honest, I am a bit still confused. Are you all saying the touch hole should be at the bottom of the chamber, like with a normal breech plug?

Also, Bob—are you suggesting drilling an exploration hole? Or should I remove the breech and see what the chamber looks like first?

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 10:36:45 PM »
No need to pull the plug imo unless you really want see how it's made. Maybe this pic will help:

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 11:14:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice, to be completely honest, I am a bit still confused. Are you all saying the touch hole should be at the bottom of the chamber, like with a normal breech plug?

Also, Bob—are you suggesting drilling an exploration hole? Or should I remove the breech and see what the chamber looks like first?

I should have completed the note.Run a rod down into the breech and that will tell how deep it is or simply unscrew it and take a look,
Those drawings are from original guns and not hard to follow.
Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 11:15:41 PM »
I try to get the rear part of the liner at the bottom of the hole which I think helps when you clean, the water should " funnel " out of the hole better. JMHO

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 01:08:45 AM »
I am planning a touch hole liner for this one, when I put a ramrod down, I can feel an initial stop, but can push it a bit further. This must be where the larger chamber meets the second chamber?

I apologize for all the dumb questions, just a newbie with these patent breeches.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 01:20:38 AM »
The only DUMB questions are the unasked ones--Dumb as in silent so ask away.
What one of us may not know there will be others that DO have the answers.
Bob Roller

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 01:46:19 AM »
The only DUMB questions are the unasked ones--Dumb as in silent so ask away.
What one of us may not know there will be others that DO have the answers.
Bob Roller

Thanks, Bob. If I plan to put a liner in, how should I determine the position of the lock? On regular builds, it's pretty straight forward by finding the breech plug end and then placing the liner/touch hole. I am just not sure what the interior of this plug looks like i.e. bore, antechamber, and flue..

Offline SDH

• Starting Member
    • Fine Gunmaking
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 02:38:24 AM »
Excuse me for interrupting...I would un-breech the barrel to see exactly what the inside measures and looks like. Then you can make your plan.
If it is the type with a barrel extension, you can install the vent to the plug with it removed from the barrel. Then you can also see the exact results.
I'd make a plan for cleaning the beech with the knowledge of what is inside.
I have made a breech scraper to fit the cavity for some.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 06:09:25 AM »
Excuse me for interrupting...I would un-breech the barrel to see exactly what the inside measures and looks like. Then you can make your plan.
If it is the type with a barrel extension, you can install the vent to the plug with it removed from the barrel. Then you can also see the exact results.
I'd make a plan for cleaning the beech with the knowledge of what is inside.
I have made a breech scraper to fit the cavity for some.

May I ask the best way to remove it? It is very well done, the only way one can notice it is a patent breech is the slight change in color where the plug and barrel meet.

I ask so as to not just take a giant wrench to it and mess it up!