General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

shotguns and dry vegetation

<< < (2/4) > >>

Prairie dog shooter:
I have never had shotgun wads or rifle patching catch fire.  It is all in what you lube with.

Daryl:

--- Quote from: Prairie dog shooter on January 27, 2023, 02:33:43 AM ---I have never had shotgun wads or rifle patching catch fire.  It is all in what you lube with.

--- End quote ---
I would not quite agree with that. Fit of ball and patch is VERY important, maybe the most important aspect. The only time I have seen smoldering patches
is with people using loose ball and patched loads. Gas/flame blow by seems to be the culprit in igniting patches, which stands to reason.
Taylor and I have NEVER had as smoldering patch, from smoothbores or from rifles. That just doesn't happen and we
use a variety of lubes, from spit to WWWF + oil to Neetsfoot oil, Track's Mink oil or Bear grease/oil.
In my .69, using dry paper ctgs. & 165gr. never a smoldering 'ctg., either - just confetti form that gun, and solid ctgs. from the Brown Bess with 85gr. 3F.

smylee grouch:
I saw a tow wad lubed up with crisco start a fire on a turkey target at 15 yds. from a 20 bore trade gun.

Pukka Bundook:
Fleener,
As a teenager back in Yorkshire I was told by an old country gunsmith to try ivy leaves in dry weather.
We used to shoot wood pigeons over laid barley before it was cut at harvest. It can be tinder dry.
Green ivy leaves rolled in a ball make very good wads. My patterns were just as good as with other wadding.
I agree that card wads won't catch fire,  but if still worried, try ivy leaves or other tough green leaves, only don't leave it loaded overnight as it'll dampen the powder and squib off the next day.

Best,
Richard.

Dennis Glazener:

--- Quote from: smylee grouch on January 27, 2023, 04:15:42 AM ---I saw a tow wad lubed up with crisco start a fire on a turkey target at 15 yds. from a 20 bore trade gun.

--- End quote ---

Probably a prototype all in one load for killing then cooking a turkey ;D Sorry couldn't resist!
Dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version