General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Getting Bullet Out of Flintlock

<< < (4/5) > >>

Daryl:
The nozzle of my air compressor would work against the vent just fine. My compressor barely makes 85psi, though.
The other compressor for filling carbon-fiber air tanks, runs to 4,500psi, but no volume to speak of straight from the
compressor, however if a hose could be run from a scuba tank to the barrel, it would certainly blow out whatever was
in there.
Aluminum scuba tanks run to 3,000psi, steel ones to 3,3??psi and the carbon fiber tanks, mostly to 4,500spi.

GO OutDoors:
The easiest way would to remove the touch hole liner clean out the old power. Put 20 grains of new powder in. Tamp the bullet down on the powder. Put the liner back in and shot it out.

DGB:
I have to agree with Muskrat.
If the barrel had been fired before the stuck load, it is dirty below the bullet and probably rusted, to say the least.
Best to pull the plug to see what it looks like. Then punch the bullet out and proceed.

Good luck,
DGB

smylee grouch:
Depending on what type of liner you have removing it might destroy it so you would need a new one of the proper size and thread type. If  the gun has been loaded dirty and left that way for a long  time the barrel will probably need a good scrubbing at the least so I would remove the plug and drive the load out with a stout hickory rod and inspect the barrel. That way you save the current vent.

WadePatton:
Acetone, now that someone mentioned it, would be my first choice to get things moving if I could not shoot it out.  Acetone is ruthless to most plastics. It should loosen things right up I'd think.

It might be noted that the nail-polish remover acetone usually REEKS to high-heavens (of perfume) and I won't use it -any-more in my shop. I now keep a quart can of acetone for the odd jobs. Kroil has a much nicer aroma.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version