Author Topic: Stock Carving?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline GO OutDoors

• Starting Member
    • Go OutDoors
Stock Carving?
« on: January 28, 2023, 08:56:45 PM »
I have a Dixie Gun Works TVM pore boy and was wondering if there is anyone that can put a patch box and do check piece carving around my area? I know the gun isn't a custom but I won't be getting rid of it and just want to make it my own a different. Also can there be a nose cap made and ram rod entry thimble be installed? I don't have detailed photos but can get them.

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Stock Carving?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 02:46:52 AM »
These things are all doable but somewhat problematic.  Inletting parts to an already finished rifle is more difficult.  Normally the metal and wood surfaces would be leveled by filing the two together during installation.  On a completed gun this would destroy the finish in the area affected.  Any raised carving would likewise destroy the surrounding finish.  Not to mention that carving on southern poor boy rifle would be rare for sure.
Doable… yes.  Practical…?
Jeff
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 12:14:51 AM by J. Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 03:09:04 AM »
   It is not a custom gun now, but after that work it would be. Also likely to have a custom gun price tag. Patch box and carving can often take as much time as building the rest of the gun.

Offline RAT

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 01:06:05 AM »
Dixie Gun Works and TVM (Tennessee Valley Manufacturing) are actually 2 different companies. My first rifle was a Dixie Gun Works "TN squirrel rifle". If that's the one you're describing, I seem to remember it had a lot of wood that could be removed. I would think a muzzle cap, entry pipe, and patchbox could be added (mine had a grease hole). Mine was in cherry with a dark stain applied. That would be removed when the wood is finished down flush with the new parts. It could then be refinished. Carving wouldn't really be appropriate for this type of rifle. I'm not sure you'll find someone who wants to do this kind of work. You might have more money in the work than the rifle is worth.
Bob

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 01:47:43 AM »
No matter how much money you spend, you will always have a Dixie Tn mountain rifle.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 09:10:19 AM »
I did that to one it was 18 or 20 years ago for a guy, it turn out nice.   Al
Alan K. Merrill