Author Topic: Ferguson Trigger help  (Read 695 times)

Offline SHARPS4953

• Starting Member
Ferguson Trigger help
« on: January 30, 2023, 04:31:59 AM »
Im having an issue with the trigger function on a Rifle Shoppe Ferguson rife  I've just completed. on half cock it was tripping the hammer. I kept filing the top of the trigger until the half cock stopped tripping but now when I pull the trigger on half cock there's  play like the sear bar is moving. Also it wont trip on full cock. I wondering if I put the trigger pin in the wrong place. I hope this make sense. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks    Scott Fisher

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Ferguson Trigger help
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 03:36:22 PM »
Hi,
It is hard to help you without photos of the lock and trigger.  Did you build the lock?  The Ferguson has a simple trigger but the lock has no fly detent so trigger adjustment for a light pull can be challenging.  It is OK to have a little rattle in the trigger at half cock although I prefer my triggers to always be in contact with the sear.  Another potential issue is the sear on the lock  barely overlaps the trigger lever because the stock is so thick at the tail of the lock.  Hopefully, your trigger is still able to engage the sear at full cock.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 12:03:15 AM »
I don't like pinning the trigger on any gun through the wood.  Nothing wrong with the technique.....and a trigger done that way will certainly outlive me....but I like the trigger pivot to be in metal.  So on my Ferguson, I made a bent steel trigger "housing" (if you will) and silver brazed it to the TRS trigger plate.  In so doing I have more control over the geometry of the engagement between the trigger bar and the lock sear.

I didn't do it on the Ferguson, but I often put a small leaf spring under the trigger bar to take up any play between rest, half cock, and the full cock sear position.  I don't like the trigger rattling at any position.   ;)

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 02:39:35 AM »
Sounds like the half cock is further from the tumbler pivot center than the full cock notch.  That is a significant issue if there is no fly.  It is still a bad idea with a fly.  Pictures?

Call Jess @ TRS

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 08:45:02 AM »
It may be instructive to know exactly where the trigger blade is resting on your sear bar. I would use soot to blacken the trigger blade top and re install the assembly to operate the mechanisim. Disassemble it to check the point of contact. You may be suprized to find where it actually is. Once the position is know a solution can be formulated. It will require either welding material to change the triger blade or pivot piit placement of the trigger. It would be wise to add a trigger return spring as shown peviously once youve fixed the trigger.
Dave Blaisdell