Author Topic: Making a frizzen spring  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Jdbeck

Making a frizzen spring
« on: January 30, 2023, 04:36:00 PM »
One of my goals is to make a lock from scratch…
In that journey I have a lot more mistakes to make.
Looking for tips on making a frizzen spring.

I tried drilling a hole annd inserting a steel rod, but it created a weak point.
Next attempt was going to use a solid piece…

My plan was to thin the spring… didn’t make it that far.

I’m guessing a better way to use a solid piece?

Offline James Wilson Everett

Re: Making a frizzen spring
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 05:04:34 PM »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 05:38:07 PM »
Here is the tutorial:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=25950.msg247984#msg247984
One of many excellent tutorials. Thanks, Jim. For someone like me, who doesn’t make springs every day, your advice to fabricate then thin to tune the strength of the spring is great advice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 09:06:42 PM »
Hi,
I make them differently.  I cut in from the sides of the spring stock leaving a 3/32" - 1/8" wide neck where I want the finial to form.  I heat the neck red hot and turn the section to be the finial perpendicular to the rest of the spring.  Then I weld steel on top of the section for the finial to form the boss for the screw and add any height to the rest of the finial.  Then I drill the hole for the screw and shape the finial.  Shape the peg and bend the leaves and I am ready for shaping, finish, and heat treating.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 09:11:57 PM »

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 12:05:29 AM »
This is one I made a couple days ago for a Jaeger lock I'm making. It's Made from an old spring tooth harrow, I know that rubs people the wrong way but it has always worked for me.

I don't have a milling machine unfortunately so everything is done will files. And this steal makes some of the best chisels I've ever made or used.
Barry

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 01:03:05 AM »
This is one I made a couple days ago for a Jaeger lock I'm making. It's Made from an old spring tooth harrow, I know that rubs people the wrong way but it has always worked for me.

I don't have a milling machine unfortunately so everything is done will files. And this steal makes some of the best chisels I've ever made or used.

That spring is truly impressive work. Please show us the rest of the lock.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 01:42:24 AM »
Hi,
Seeing all that metal that has to be filed away to form the leaves leaves me exhausted.

dave

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 02:23:13 AM »
Thanks Rolf, I have no finished pictures I'm still filing away. These are a couple of what its shaping into.

It started life as a large Siler lock from Locks and stuff. Made a new plate and used the innards. The sear spring is from the same material. I just have to make a new main spring now and finish the details.
Barry

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 02:46:46 AM »
Barry, you’re doing some very nice work there!

The rarest files are small files that are very coarse, and large files with a very fine cut. I have a tapered square file about 7/16” at the fat end that will really make short work of taking 0.050” off narrow stock.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 03:05:34 AM »
Flintlock Hunter, What's wrong with spring tooth harrow steel? It makes great knives too. Beautiful work, by the way.

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 03:30:51 AM »
Absolutely nothing, that was my point. It seems that most people believe you have to use a known steel to make springs. I don't think that Dickert and Armstrong etc. where ordering steel from Granger. I have a large collection of Addis chisels, and I love them, but they don't hold an edge like the ones I have made from this steel
Barry

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 06:49:33 AM »
Tonight I tried a single piece it worked but it also cracked. Has to be my tempering I heated until purple.

Maybe it’s time to give the measurements and let someone els make the spring.

I’m exhausted 🥱

I need to learn more about metal hardening and tempering for sure…

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 03:08:30 PM »
Hi,
The steel should be tempered to 700-750 degrees for 30 minutes or more.  I temper for 1 hour at 750 when using 1075 steel.  Purple is about 520-530 degrees and is too low.

dave

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 05:17:17 PM »
Jdbeck,
 I tempered my frizzen spring by floating it in a 750 deg. lead lot for approx. 30 minutes. You should be able to file a spring after it’s hardened and tempered.
Good luck
Kevin

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 02:22:12 AM »
Hi,
Seeing all that metal that has to be filed away to form the leaves leaves me exhausted.

dave
All that FILING can easily be elemenated with a milling machine and I have made several in years past,at least 40 of them.
Sear springs also started on a milling machine.I never had any "romanticized"ideas about filing every thing and won't hesitate
to bring in whatever is needed to get the job done with as much speed and efficiency as possible.I well remember George Killen
filing a lock tumbler from a square spike of some kind and making springs from hood and trunk regulator springs from junked cars.
Lock maker W.G.Sutter made tumblers from Chrysler and Packard torsion bars and I have no idea how he did it.At least the torsion
bars were round.
Bob Roller

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 03:08:51 AM »
Hi Bob,
Yes, a milling machine would do the job but so does the method I described.  By the time you jigged up your machine or somebody filed thick metal stock to form the boss and then all that filing to make the thinner leaves, I am done with the spring, and any type of spring I desire.

Here are 3 examples completed in a few hours of work:

dave

H

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 03:11:55 AM »
Once you have a set-up or fixture made, you can’t compete with a mill.  With a proper fixture you can use it repeatedly.

You can of course do this job many other ways that don’t require machinery. 

One thing I would suggest is learning how to look and discern what is good and bad in terms of proper design and style.  Study original work and ask yourself what looks good and what doesn’t.  Learn to identify characteristics of good work.  Use these as your guides when doing your own work.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:17:34 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 05:41:08 PM »
Guys,

Just one additional tip:  Drill the hole for the frizzen spring mounting screw early in the process.  I have found that it is quite easy to file and shape the outside of the spring to match or align after the hole is drilled.  I have found that it is quite difficult to drill the hole exactly on center to the already shaped spring outside.  Note in the tutorial that the hole is drilled while the spring material is still thick and unshaped.

Jim