General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

my dilemma left eye dominate and right handed....

<< < (4/4)

WadePatton:
I am not in the same boat, but I can easier imagine handling long guns on my weak-side than to shoot to my non-dominant eye (with open sights). The transition probably works best when you commit regular practice and avoid shooting strong-sided for a reasonable length of time. It'll take a minute for the fresh neural pathways and muscle tone, etc. to strengthen and lend to feeling doable. Hang in there if you go that way. It has taken four months of nearly daily practice for my new swing to feel more natural than my old one, but it's pretty solid now. Soon it'll be like I never did it differently. Switching shooting sides is likely a bit tougher, but should come around if you commit. Good luck.

ScottNE:
I'm strongly left-eye dominant, but right-handed. I've never really had any trouble shooting with my right eye, I just close my left eye. Ive tried shooting left-handed, and it felt like I was twisting myself into knots. I can shoot handguns either hand but much more comfortably right-handed -- left-eye dominance doesn't compensate for how weak my left hand is in comparison to my right. Everybody is different but I'd say that if you've always shot right-handed fairly well, why fix what ain't broke?

A couple of my brothers are left-handed and right-eyed. People joke that we should trade eyes, but my vision is 20/15 and my brothers wear glasses that look like the bottom of a coke bottle, so I'd be losing quite a bit in that trade.

LH:

Daryl:
More than one way to skin a cat, I see.  Those barrel screws holding up OK? Lots of torque on them under recoil.

LH:
I've been using these offset bases for two years now and haven't had any problems with the screws so far. Probably at least 1000 rounds on every gun with these bases.   I remove the sights and bases for transport so the guns will fit in a case.  Screws are #6x48tpi mostly.  I have one gun I switched to 8x40's after I cross threaded and stripped a hole out.  Half blind, old & feeble has many dividends.  Then again, I stripped screws when I was 20 too.  My offhand guns are all .38 and .40 caliber and I don't shoot heavy charges.    Probably the biggest drawback is windage adjustment for every yardage.  When I made the first offset bases, I used strips of sheet metal and magnets to figure out where exactly the sight needed to be to get them in front of my left eye while aiming with a solid cheek weld.  They are 1.9" left of the bore and about the same amount higher than the bore.  So when I'm zeroed for 25yds, I'm hitting 1.9" left at 50yds and 3.8" left at 100.  Thats what prompted me to convert this Redfield International sight to an open sight.  So I can return to zero's with acccuracy.  I use Kensight XP100's on a couple of guns and they work pretty good, but backlash and some built in innacuracy often requires more than a few shots to be sure of my offhand zero.  This old Redfield is completely accurate with zero backlash. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version