General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

my dilemma left eye dominate and right handed....

<< < (2/4) > >>

smylee grouch:
Yep, right eye is shot so had to switch. I before shot with both eyes open but last spring found my self looking down the side of the barrel. Then it came to me my right eye was gone and my left eye took over dominance.

Daryl:
I do kind of the same SmyleeG. If I try to shoot a rifle with both eyes open, I see the sights, ghostly, but I can see them, then the side of the rifle, then the sights, back and forth. Close
 the left eye and sights are solid. Have to shoot a rifle or handgun with left eye closed. Shotguns, shoulder the gun, both eyes open and swing look only at the target, pass and dust. I
guess the gun barrels are kind of  ghostly looking under my hands. Where ever my left hand points, that's where my eyes are concentrating.

Eric Kettenburg:
It's really not rocket science.  Either learn to shoot comfortably left hand, or close your left eye.

I've had a deteriorating right eye since I was born and by the time I was 17 or 18 could no longer really see out of my right eye well enough to shoot.  I am right handed.  So I just forced myself to switch to LH shooting.  I didnt find it to be that big of a deal but it dd take a year or so to get actually "comfortable" with it, meaning to where it felt natural.

There really is no alternative, other than just closing your left eye so that your dominant eye is doing all the work.  That's if you simply can;t adapt and have to keep shooting RH.  I think anyone can adapt but it takes time and a good deal of shooting to accomplish it.  If you can;t shoot a lot, it's going to make it more difficult because it then becomes awkward and you don;t build up a muscle memory in the actual process of shouldering, shooting, loading etc.

One thing I have found is that since I made the switch when I was younger, I was able to do many more things left handed dominant more easily as was mentioned above. For someone working with their hands, this has been a great benefit.

James Rogers:

--- Quote from: Eric Kettenburg on February 01, 2023, 01:31:06 AM ---It's really not rocket science.  Either learn to shoot comfortably left hand, or close your left eye.

I've had a deteriorating right eye since I was born and by the time I was 17 or 18 could no longer really see out of my right eye well enough to shoot.  I am right handed.  So I just forced myself to switch to LH shooting.  I didnt find it to be that big of a deal but it dd take a year or so to get actually "comfortable" with it, meaning to where it felt natural.

There really is no alternative, other than just closing your left eye so that your dominant eye is doing all the work.  That's if you simply can;t adapt and have to keep shooting RH.  I think anyone can adapt but it takes time and a good deal of shooting to accomplish it.  If you can;t shoot a lot, it's going to make it more difficult because it then becomes awkward and you don;t build up a muscle memory in the actual process of shouldering, shooting, loading etc.

One thing I have found is that since I made the switch when I was younger, I was able to do many more things left handed dominant more easily as was mentioned above. For someone working with their hands, this has been a great benefit.

--- End quote ---

This in a nutshell. If one is a casual shooter or does not have availability or desire to shoot consistently often then winking down, blocking or closing an eye will be easier and less frustrating. If one is a dedicated habitual shooter or desires to be competitive then switch hands.

Austin:
Im exactly the same as Taylor….. works for me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version