Author Topic: Woodsrunner is finished  (Read 1704 times)

Offline John Proud

Woodsrunner is finished
« on: January 31, 2023, 08:40:31 PM »
Can't remember how long ago the last "kit" build was, maybe three decades? I was impressed with the comments here and elsewhere regarding Jim Kibler's kits and decided to get a "Woodsrunner" when it was announced. The original was a very appealing rifle. When it arrived last fall, I assembled it, which took one hour including unpacking from the box (that box has a lot of screws holding the lid on). I could have literally headed to the range with it then. Instead I set it aside for other projects as I am mainly a horn worker. The most impressive "kit" flintlock I have ever seen.

7 pounds 3 ounces in .54 caliber.

Finished it up now by adding a toe plate,plate on the back of the patch box and carving in the style that Jim Kibler posted here a while ago.

I'll have it on my table at the Carlisle Show later this week. Would appreciate critiques on my additions.

John

Offline bnewberry

Re: Woodsrunner is finished
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 08:43:07 PM »
Nice work!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 08:53:15 PM »
Looks goo to me, too. I do like a little colour on the ram rod, though. An oversight, John? The outside of the barrel is super. Is that how they come,
already draw filed?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 08:55:28 PM »
My Woodsrunner barrel needed finishing. I did not do as thorough of a job on mine!

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 09:31:28 PM »
Are you leaving the barrel in the white?
Mike Lee

Offline mjohnson

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 07:19:26 AM »
John, as someone who has this kit on order, I have a question about your carving. Carving is something I have never done. Yours looks primarily like incise carving? Correct? Did you stab it in first? What was your technique? I like your simplicity in design and have probably watched the same Jim Kibler video you watched. Mine is in 50 cal. I especially like your addition of a brass toe plate and a buttplate on the sliding patchbox. How thick is the brass that you used? Thanks! - Mike

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 01:26:13 PM »
Nicely, great looking finished rifle you got now

Offline Rick Rhodes

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 04:57:26 PM »
Looking good. I'm  working on one of kiblers colonial rifles right now and plan on ordering  a woodsrunner in the near future