Author Topic: Looking for advice on a horn repair  (Read 833 times)

Offline taterbug

Looking for advice on a horn repair
« on: February 03, 2023, 07:41:37 PM »
I had cut this horn into two pieces, I thought I might use the tip for a measure since the horn is sort of small, the base was cracked, and thought I would always want a lot more powder at my side.  Now I want to re-attach the two halves and make it whole again.  I did cut off the cracks at the base and re-fitted the base plug.  Good so far.

Thinking of making a metal band to encircle the cut, about an inch wide, with a row of tacks (screws?) on either side of the cut.  I can put epoxy (or hide glue or some other goop) under it to help seal and hold things together a bit too.

Should the repair band be thin brass?  Copper?  Steel?  Can do any of the three, but wondering if brass will have a tendency to crack?  Since this will be more of a structural piece, and not just decorative, is this a valid concern? 

And, should I pre-drill holes for the tacks, or pins, or screws?  Im thinking yes.  It is still nearly 1/4" thick in the area around the cut, and dont want to risk cracking or splitting anything.  Just trying to avoid tossing the whole thing in the trash, but I may not have the skills to avoid it at this point.  If it returns
to being just a wall hanger again, I guess thats ok too.

Thanks for any advice or previous experience you can relate!
JB

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Looking for advice on a horn repair
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 10:00:51 PM »
How about trimming until one slips inside the other with a half inch overlap and hide glue and peg it together?
Andover, Vermont

Offline taterbug

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 11:59:54 PM »
i had thought of that, still thinking on it too.  This thing was already small, smaller still after I trimmed off the cracks on the base.  I suppose it could serve as a good priming horn by the time I slide one piece inside the other with enough overlap.   

I had just hoped I was at a spot I could just pin it together with a band (band-aid?).  I'm learning I don't really like working with horn. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 12:21:52 AM »
 Pix would help. One way to do it and maybe make it a little longer is to add a piece of horn to the middle. If you want to try that send me some outside measurements, I've got a big box of pieces here and I'm sure something will fit. I would heat all three pieces and force/tap them together, with the horn soft it will form itself to each cut off. Easier to do than write up.

Tim C.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 04:35:25 AM »
Horn repairs with metal would typically be non-sparking varieties.  - For obvious reasons.

Offline taterbug

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 06:34:47 PM »
Tim, thanks for that offer.  I'm still thinking about that too.  I know pics would help, but I hate going through that exercise even more than I hate working with horn.  but at least I can type! ;D

Top Jaw, had not considered that!  Dang!  And I was imagining a nicely patinaed steel band with contrasting brass tacks.  Oh well.  I was wondering more along the lines of sparks from static electricity.  At least I was thinking, a little...

Looking at it a bit more, I may have the skills, and desire, to reduce ID of one end, and OD of the other to make a snug fit, with tacks or wood pegs and hide glue to secure the two parts.

This was one of those horns that I later saw described in a TOTW catalog as "economy horn, may require more work to finish drilling spout to the main compartment."  A relative presented it to me at a modern show. I think he felt guilty when he found out that it was my birthday.  I think I remember seeing them for about $14 that day.  So not a pretty thing (mostly black now after trimming off the cracks at the base), and not useful without more work.  But it does have a bit of sentimental value, I was thrilled to get it that day. 

Of course later I learned that it only held about 20 grains of powder under the plug at the spout.  After taking out the tacks at the base, I also realized I did not have tools or skills to fix at the time, so it just got put away into a box under the workbench.

Now that I trimmed off the base, and realized how thick it is towards the tip, it really does not hold much. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 07:33:36 PM »
Spending time on a marginal horn as starting material is either vexing or a good stretch of creativity. Good luck with it.
Andover, Vermont