Author Topic: Switching locks  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Semiringeye

• Starting Member
  • .45 Jukar .32 Pedersoli .45 Pecatonica SMR
Switching locks
« on: February 05, 2023, 10:29:56 PM »
I did some mechanic work for a friend and got a pecatonica smr .45 cal kit for it .It has a L&R durs egg lock on it and I was wondering if a late Katlin lock wood replace it.

Gary Kirk

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Switching locks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 10:34:36 PM »
I don't know but I'm thinking the lock plates will be different enuf to make it non advisable. Plus the internals.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 12:36:32 AM »
Nope, a Durrs Egg is much larger than a late Ketland.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 03:05:00 PM »
Unless that specific Durrs Egg lock you has some problems, I wouldn't replace it. If it has problems send it back to L&R and they will fix it.
The Egg lock is a very fast and dependable lock.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Semiringeye

• Starting Member
  • .45 Jukar .32 Pedersoli .45 Pecatonica SMR
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 06:18:33 PM »
Thanks ya値l.just been looking on J.chambers site and Track of The Wolf  and also reading up how fast the Kat lines are and thought I would try one.I知-always messing with something.
Gary Kirk

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 06:25:16 PM »
Thanks ya値l.just been looking on J.chambers site and Track of The Wolf  and also reading up how fast the Kat lines are and thought I would try one.I知-always messing with something.

Some L&R locks are not favorites but the Durs Egg is hard to beat for perceived speed (which may be worth nothing) and reliability.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 11:58:15 PM »
L & R's  Egg lock is really a great lock in my experience.  I would build with it, & if not satisfied with its performance, I would send it to Cabin Creek for a tune. Much easier & more cost effective than trying to switch locks.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 02:21:25 AM »
What Roger said.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 12:29:54 AM »

Some L&R locks are not favorites but the Durs Egg is hard to beat for perceived speed (which may be worth nothing) and reliability.

I have a lot of confidence in perceived speed. I think an attentive shooter can tell a slow lock from a fast one. When tuning my locks the first thing I do is shoot a known fast lock against the new one. Then my goal is to get the new lock to operate as fast and smooth as the fast one.
American horses of Arabian descent.