Author Topic: Cock wont go to full cock???  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Chef

• Starting Member
Cock wont go to full cock???
« on: February 06, 2023, 02:54:22 AM »
Hi Guys
I need help pls. When i take out my lock assembly from the gun the cock woks fine and will go back to full cock but when i tried to put it back in the stock, it does not want to engage the full cock! What is wrong??

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Cock wont go to full cock???
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 03:13:41 AM »
The wood is interfering with the lock function. Put some transfer colour/or soot on the internals of the lock and you should see where it's contacting . Make sure you check the sear .

Offline sdilts

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 03:52:14 AM »
Could also be the trigger bar is too high and keeping the sear from engaging the notch.

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 04:13:52 AM »
Ditto what bob & sdilts said. Can you take the trigger out? If no wood is blocking the sear leg then take the trigger out & try to cock it. If it goes to full cock then the trigger blade is too tall. File off some height & try it again. Go slow being sure not to take off too much all at once. Making it too short will cause sloppy trigger pull.

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 08:32:27 PM »
Be sure to put some transfer colour like inletting black on the mainspring.  When you cock the hammer, the mainspring travels a surprisingly long path up to toward the top of your lock inlet, and it may be bottoming against wood before the sear can drop into the full cock notch.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Chef

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 01:30:27 AM »
I forgot to mentioned  that when i press the rear trigger before putting the cock to full cock, it works but does not fire (goes back to half cock)

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 05:28:24 AM »
Remove the trigger and get the lock working. You can reach sear bar with a small screwdriver if you need to release the cock . But you can’t fix two things at once when you don’t know what either is.

Offline Goo

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 02:56:29 PM »
I have found the cause f this problem to be as others have said the inlet space or "the wood" for me it gennerally occurs in one of two places under the sear and at the top of the tumbler arm.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline TDM

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 10:26:33 PM »
I forgot to mentioned  that when i press the rear trigger before putting the cock to full cock, it works but does not fire (goes back to half cock)

I don't know the make of your lock, but there locks out there that require the rear trigger to be set before you can engage to full cock.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 06:55:33 PM »
Turn the lock screws out a little and see if it works okay.  If so, then has been previously said, wood is binding it up.

Bob

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 07:16:41 PM »
Also, check and see if the cock itself has clearance with the stock. 

Cory Joe

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 12:25:47 AM »
I have found the cause f this problem to be as others have said the inlet space or "the wood" for me it gennerally occurs in one of two places under the sear and at the top of the tumbler arm.
The tumbler arm IF it has that style of tumbler can easily be the problem.Having to set the trigger is not a good idea but a lot of old guns were made like that.Falling to half cock is another thing entirely and I will be surprised if the lock has no "fly"to allow the sear to clear the tumbler.
Bob Roller

Offline Goo

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 04:43:07 PM »
Ive had this happen if the fly is in backwards.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Lone Wolf

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 07:17:48 AM »
Could also be the trigger bar is too high and keeping the sear from engaging the notch.

Just the other day I experienced this when installing a pinned trigger.  At first the trigger bar was too high and the hammer wouldn't stay at full cock.  After a few passes with a file over the trigger bar, it then came to full cock but wouldn't fire because the trigger was still too high and preventing the mechanism from releasing after tripping the seer.  After a few more passes with the file, it worked perfectly.