Author Topic: Making set trigger question  (Read 808 times)

Offline wvmtnman

Making set trigger question
« on: February 15, 2023, 04:24:06 AM »
I’m attempting to make set triggers.  After I cut it out and shaped it, I started looking at other triggers.  I’ve noticed that the pivot hole is directly in line with the front pad of the trigger, on the sets I have. 
   With the one I made, that will not be possible.  I’ve marked where the hole will go with a sharpie marker.  Is it standard that the front pad of the trigger be in line with the pivot hole?  The other trigger is a Davis set.
      Thanks, Brian

B. Lakatos

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Making set trigger question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 05:47:06 AM »

Its and illustration I did for some article. The figures were explained in the text but the important part is explained in the illustration.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 05:48:02 AM »
The trigger should stay set when the front trigger spring is depressed to “unload” the front trigger.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 06:13:36 PM »
You're dealing with copying relics and there are no standards and as Dan showed,if the trigger will stay set after depressing the spring that controls it then use it.The ideal is to have the front pivot pin center line past the locking edge of the front trigger. I test mine by setting the trigger and the push as hard as possible on the rear trigger.If it doesn't unlock,use it.
Bob Roller

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 08:50:29 PM »
By the looks of the geometry on your trigger, I'm questioning how well it will hold the rear trigger in the "set" position.  Mr. Rollers test is also what I use.

I use two resources for my set triggers.  A set from a Davis kit that I assembled, and the booklet "TRIGGERS" by Pryor Mountain Bill Newton.  I'm currently on rifle number four that has my own triggers... here they are in the set position.  I like the part that holds the rear trigger to be sloped a little down towards the rear, like the Davis trigger.  That's not a square pin through the rear trigger.  It was a little loose, so I peened the very end.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 03:00:48 AM »
The hole for the pin should be directly under the engagement point when the trigger is set. This puts the mainspring force directly over the swivel point (pin) of the front trigger. Putting this point forward of the trigger pin will make it a little harder to pull and putting the engagement point too far behind the swivel point will make the trigger too hard to stay "set". Where the face of the front trigger is isn't that critical.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 07:35:46 PM »
To answer your question a little more directly, no it doesn't matter where the pad is relative to the trigger pin hole.  As others have mentioned, it's important to have the pivot hole and engagement lined up correctly.

Jim

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 08:31:24 PM »
One more thing. When I make triggers I use ground and polished drill rod 3/32 diameter and drill with a #44 drill and then ream the hole to finished diameter and be sure to use a threading fluid while reaming.The hole will be oversize if dry reamed.
Bob Roller