Author Topic: Installing lugs on round barrel  (Read 853 times)

Offline Lone Wolf

Installing lugs on round barrel
« on: February 06, 2023, 07:31:38 AM »
I'm currently building a Jim Chambers English fowler kit and it is my first build with a round barrel.  What's the best way to attach lugs to the round barrel?  Smart Dog's fantastic fowler tutorial on here shows bands around the barrel that affix the lugs, but the picture of the completed gun on Jim Chambers' website does not show bands, so I presume the lugs are soldered on the barrel for this particular style.  If soldering is the best method, how are the lugs positioned and held at "top dead center" when soldering?  Thanks

Offline Rich

Re: Installing lugs on round barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 12:25:52 PM »
My method: shape the base of the lug to the profile of the barrel. Tin the base of the lug. I then take some thin wire and make a loop about 6 inches in diameter. I wire 2 lead ingots (around a pound each) to the bottom of the loop. I put the barrel in the vise horizontally with the location of the lug away from the jaws. Place the lug on the barrel and hang the lead weighted wire loop over the lug. I keep the twisted wire part of the loop to the side or bottom. Solder it in place. If the lug is near where the front sight is, I put a thick brass rod in the barrel to act as a heat sink so the front sight doesn't come off. 

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 03:14:16 PM »
Clay Smith did a great video on this on u tube grumpy gunsmith of williamsburg
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 03:37:20 PM »
Hi Lone Wolf,
Go here and scroll down to the posts on barrel lugs.  The barrel bands shown in my fowler building tutorial are used because the barrel is set up as if it was a Spanish barrel.  Normally the British makers would braze or solder lugs on the bottom as in the link below.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=74180.50

I sweat the solder through the joint rather than tin the surfaces because it is much easier to hold the lug in position securely during soldering using the wire.  The lug under the octagon section of many fowler barrels can be dovetailed in place like the sights.  To find center on completely round barrels, place the round barrel in a vise, put a torpedo level across the flat bottom of the breech plug bolster. and turn the barrel until the bolster is level in the vise.  Then place the torpedo level across the barrel where you want the lugs and when it balances on the barrel, mark that spot.  You can also register the barrel if you have already filed the flat in one side for the lock plate bolster.  Simply hold the barrel by that flat in a vise and mark where the torpedo level balances on the barrel.  Your lugs then will be perpendicular to the side flat.     

dave
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 04:25:33 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 04:57:34 PM »
Same as Rich above in my case, L-W.

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 05:08:53 PM »
Lone Wolf,
If you are working with an octagon to round barrel, finding center is as easy and a flat table and a piece of sandpaper. I use sticky back sandpaper or you could tape a piece down to the edge of a table. Lay the barrel on the table holding the flat down to the table tight. Slide the barrel back and forth on the sandpaper a few times (sand paper in the spot you want to solder the lug) and you will have a few scratches right at top dead center of the round part of the barrel. Works every time and super simple.

Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 05:42:29 PM »
When soldering the lugs on I put a brass rod that is heated hot down the barrel in the location of the lug. It seems to make  the process go faster so you dont have to heat the barrel as long.

Offline Lone Wolf

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 06:19:51 PM »
Smart Dog, thank you again for another great illustration!  The wiring will be the way to go.

Lone Wolf,
If you are working with an octagon to round barrel, finding center is as easy and a flat table and a piece of sandpaper. I use sticky back sandpaper or you could tape a piece down to the edge of a table. Lay the barrel on the table holding the flat down to the table tight. Slide the barrel back and forth on the sandpaper a few times (sand paper in the spot you want to solder the lug) and you will have a few scratches right at top dead center of the round part of the barrel. Works every time and super simple.

Jeff

This barrel is fully round and does not have any flats.....  any tips on how to mark the top of the barrel without a flat to go by?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 06:43:35 PM »
Hi,
For the center of the top of the barrel, install the breech plug and use the flat top of the tang to register the barrel and hold it flat on a flat surface, and then either slip sand paper or a thin file under the barrel and pull it out.  It will mark the center.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 06:49:59 PM »

[/quote]

This barrel is fully round and does not have any flats.....  any tips on how to mark the top of the barrel without a flat to go by?

How about a machinist square on the table to the flat on the side of the barrel where the touch hole goes. I have only built two fully round guns and that would get you close. That would hold the small flat on the side of the barrel 90 deg to top dead center.
Thank you
Jeff

Offline Joey R

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 07:05:57 PM »
No breech plug?
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline ajcraig

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 01:02:13 AM »
Here's one way to mark the top of a round barrel to install a sight. Put the gun in a vise and make sure the gun (and presumably the barrel) is not tilted to the left or right and is reasonably level. Take a metal level (I use a small metal string line level), hold it perpendicular on the barrel at the place where you are trying to find the center - when the bubble in the gauge is centered rub the metal level lengthwise against the barrel to leave a small mark showing the centerline. Good luck! Alex