Author Topic: Latest Build - a NorthWest Trade gun  (Read 2568 times)

Offline bluenoser

Latest Build - a NorthWest Trade gun
« on: February 06, 2023, 09:46:20 PM »
I just finished building this NorthWest Trade Gun at the request of a friend.  The unmarked .62 cal. barrel is believed to be a Colerain and the lock is a Davis Trade Gun.  This was my first experience using a Davis lock and I am not favorably impressed.
The first issue - likely an assembler issue - was an ill fitting sear spring that had to be modified.  All in all, a minor issue.
The second, and much more serious, issue was an excessive difference in sear bar heights at rest, half cock and full cock.  The lowest setting was at half cock, which made for a very sloppy trigger at rest and full cock.  The answer was a spring to keep the trigger in contact with the sear, which took some pondering since I could see no obvious place to put a spring.  This gun does not have a trigger plate.  The answer was a small piece of L-shaped .020" music wire tucked into the mortise for the sear bar.  That is probably old hat to those with more experience.
The third issue was flint size.  According to Track, this lock takes a 1" x 1 1/8" flint.  That flint is too large and a 7/8" x 1" flint looks about right.  Unfortunately, the owner jumped the gun and ordered fifty 1" x 1 1/8" flints before I got the gun built ::). There shouldn't be any problem finding a home for them.
Prior to this build, BLO was my go-to finish.  I used pure tung oil on this one and prefer it over the BLO.
Enough whining already!  All in all, it was an enjoyable build and another learning opportunity.
Suggestions and criticisms are most welcome
By the way, before someone points it out, I know something has to be done about those three shiny screws in the lock.  I dressed them down while in the lock and on the gun and didn't want to disassemble the lock just to fire-blue them, or risk damaging the finish on the plate by using cold blue.  Looks like I will be partially dis-assembling the lock :-[.

Offline bnewberry

Re: Latest Build - a NorthWest Trade gun
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 10:01:36 PM »
How long is the barrel and how much does the gun weigh? Looks good!

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 10:05:11 PM »
It has a 42" barrel and weighs 7 lb 13 oz. 

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 12:57:35 AM »
Thanks! I hope to build one of these some day. Working on a Ohio inspired caplock now and that need# to get done first.

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 02:02:19 AM »
  Bluenoser  well I like it and you did a very good job.   I finished one a couple of weeks ago and posted it on a trade gun site.  Really like the finish you put on yours. But that trade gun lock I had trouble with so I used a L-R Queens Ann lock instead. Not authentic but it works very well.
   Liked making them so I started two more....    Oldtravler

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 03:49:56 AM »
Yes, I think that lock has some geometry issues and I would not use another one.  The finish could not be simpler.  It is just black walnut with several coats of PURE tung oil rubbed in.  I lost count of the exact number, but it is likely about six or seven.  Each coat was completely dry within 24 hours.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 10:16:43 PM »
Well, I have to eat crow :-[
The owner's 1" x 1 1\8" French amber flints arrived today and they fit just fine.  Apparently, the problem was my slightly larger 1" x 1 1\8" black English flints.  The 7/8" x 1" flint was a tad small.

Offline silky

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 11:06:24 PM »
It's a beauty!  I dig the simple wood finish.  The overall look of it is... well, the word that comes to mind is "authentic."

- Tom

Offline Prairie dog shooter

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 07:31:31 PM »
Nice work.  I can never enjoy shooting a North West gun.  That flat top butt stock smacks the $#*! out of my check bone.  The English styles don't do that to me.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 08:30:43 PM »
This gun, looking good I am quick to add, appears to have enough drop at the comb that it will not be an issue slapping your cheek.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 09:46:24 PM »
Nice!

I was hoping to make one someday and carve it with motifs of the Pacific Northwest Peoples

I saw a stunning example on Trader's Row at the NMLRA Western Shoot in Phoenix once- I'm remiss that I din't buy it.

Offline TDM

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 07:14:26 PM »
bluenoser, your build is a beauty. This past Monday I ordered an Early English Trade Gun kit from Clay Smith. It will be in 20 ga / .62 with a 44" Rice barrel and Davis lock. Should have it in a few weeks, I love trade guns.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 01:01:00 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments.  The owner took the gun to the range a couple of days ago and this was his first shot.

It appears I got the front sight about right ;D
He is a brand flintlock shooter and is loving it.  As Taylor had suggested, it is not a cheek slapper.

TDM
The Davis lock on this gun is mid 1980's vintage and I do not know how their current production compares.  If current production has the same geometry as in this lock, I doubt I would go with a Davis lock.  The extreme (in my opinion) variation in sear bar height in the three hammer positions made it impossible to fit the trigger so as to avoid excessive play in the at rest and full cock positions - hence the trigger spring.  I think there are better choices.  Other than that, I have no complaints about the lock as it now sits.  Perhaps others with knowledge of more recent production will step up with more up to date advice.

Offline akroguy

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 07:59:19 AM »
Beautiful work and creativity with the lock issue.  If I was to build one, I would probably go with a Kibler Colonial Lock.  Quality guaranteed! 

Offline TDM

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 02:44:23 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments.  The owner took the gun to the range a couple of days ago and this was his first shot.

It appears I got the front sight about right ;D
He is a brand flintlock shooter and is loving it.  As Taylor had suggested, it is not a cheek slapper.

TDM
The Davis lock on this gun is mid 1980's vintage and I do not know how their current production compares.  If current production has the same geometry as in this lock, I doubt I would go with a Davis lock.  The extreme (in my opinion) variation in sear bar height in the three hammer positions made it impossible to fit the trigger so as to avoid excessive play in the at rest and full cock positions - hence the trigger spring.  I think there are better choices.  Other than that, I have no complaints about the lock as it now sits.  Perhaps others with knowledge of more recent production will step up with more up to date advice.

Sorry, I had missed your reply. This will be my first Davis lock, I’m expecting Clay to be shipping the kit in the next few days. I have heard some other complaints on the Davis lock, but mostly good. I always do a thorough fit and polish on new locks. Hopefully I want find any serious problems. Thanks for the information.

Offline Turkeycreek

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2023, 06:33:31 AM »
Great job Bluenoser! I love the trade guns. By the say, I still like to use BLO but cut it with turpentine for the first six or eight coats. It dries in 24 hours and penetrates well. The last couple of coats are straight BLO and then a final coat of BLO and beeswax which I hand polish when dry. That's just my way of doing it.
TC

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2023, 07:57:51 AM »

Did the next 4 shots miss?
just kidding  ;) - nice job.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2023, 04:24:37 PM »
Well, now that you mention it, the next five shots were on target, then he started having ignition problems :(
New flintlock shooter and I had to teach him all about flint knapping ::)
That first flint was a pretty ugly looking black English.  His French ambers arrived a couple of days later and all is good now.  I am getting to like those French ambers.  Dainty little things!

Speaking of flints, I was at a gun show last weekend and was given a black English that was dug up in Quebec.  Someone had dug up a wooden case of them.  As would be expected, the case had completely rotted away.  Most of the hoard were musket size and I was impressed with how much nicer the knapping was when compared to what we get today.

Turkeycreek
That was pretty much my routine, minus the BLO/beeswax, prior to this project.  I have to say I now prefer the pure tung oil.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 05:09:04 AM »
Great job on this trade musket. On the next build leave the lock and trigger guard in the white.
Psalms 144