Author Topic: RE Davis Goulcher  (Read 857 times)

Offline wvmtnman

RE Davis Goulcher
« on: February 07, 2023, 01:03:48 AM »
Does anyone have any experience using the Davis Goulcher lock?  I was wondering how the cast engraving looks.  Any close up pictures of how it looks, once finished would be appreciated!
        Thanks, Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline T*O*F

Re: RE Davis Goulcher
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 01:29:30 AM »
It's the luck of the draw.  Depends on the casting and how much clean up is required.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 01:55:53 AM »
I used one.  The sand blasting/ casting  was so heavy and rough that the markings were only partly illegible.  I belt sanded the plate to remove them.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 06:34:25 PM »
Low end mould making using low quality masters and MAYBE hoping for high end parts. >:(.
Bob Roller

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 01:02:01 AM »
I use them, very reliable. As for the engraving, it's okay, mostly I clean up the plate and re-engrave something else. For me, that's much more pleasurable and overall appearance of the finished rifle

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 08:10:45 PM »
In reference to casting quality, here are 2 Golchers on guns I recently finished.  The difference is obvious.  I believe they came from 2 different molds, as the placement is slightly different.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson