Author Topic: Shot Snake Therapy  (Read 687 times)

Offline Jim Curlee

Shot Snake Therapy
« on: February 14, 2023, 06:36:28 PM »
I would have added this to Mikes shot snake post, but figured I didn't want to muddy up his post with my long-winded dribble. lol

8 or 10 years ago I bought a WC Scott percussion SxS, from RudyC.
I played with it some, killed a turkey with it, then hung it on the wall.
Since day one I've been lookin for a shot snake, but I'm usually a day late and a dollar short, so have not been able to score one.

Fast forward to last fall.
I couldn't hunt with my longbows because my hands, and wrists are bone on bone. OUCH 24-7
I knew I was going to have to do something about it, so arranged to have surgery on my hand in January.
I also knew I wasn't going to be able to turkey hunt with my bow, so figured I'd dig out the old SxS smokepole.
Now I'm back to needing a shot snake. lol

I know, I could put my powder or my shot in those little plastic tubes, but that would go against the reason why I use a muzzleloader.

So, I started lookin for a shot snake again last fall with no luck.
I was talkin to Rudy a couple months ago and mentioned my dilemma.
He said that he has 2 shot snakes layin around somewhere, and he'll dig around till he find's-em.
Lo and behold, he came up with the shot snakes. lol
One was in pretty tough shape, the other a bit too modern for my taste's.

I had surgery mid-January, and was told to stay out of my shop for a month(lol), besides for the first couple weeks, all I could use were my finger tips.
Sittin around is not one of my strong suits, I have to be doin somethin.
So, I started in on the shot snakes.
First thing is to work on a design.
I knew I wanted a Shot Snake, not a shot pouch.

You have some design limits, because of the nature of the leather and pairing it up with the brass Irish heads.
I like the "belly" down look better than the "belly" up look.
I also wanted to try a couple different stitches, so went with the baseball-stitch, and the cross-stitch.
I also wanted a little stiffness in the tube itself, so left a bit of a pucker in the joint, thinkin that with time and weight the seam will spread.
Only time will tell if my theories work out or knot. lol
Normally on a cross-stitch I would flatten the leather, and that works fine with the keeper loops, but not with a seam that I'm expecting to spread.

Other than the shape of the pouch, I wanted the vintage headed pouch to be made as close to original as I could, the CVA head was made to fit.
I used a shaved vegetable tanned leather for the pouches, and straps.

As of Thursday, I'm in a splint.
Two more weeks and, I can play out in the shop again.
Looks like I got finished up right on time. lol

Jim

Offline Prairie dog shooter

Re: Shot Snake Therapy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 07:03:07 PM »
Looks good. 

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 06:42:23 AM »
Jim Curlee. Sir. Interesting start. Two very nicely crafted Shot Snakes. Nice workmanship. I've always liked the Irish style chargers. Have a deluxe Wednesday. Thanks for sharing. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline taterbug

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 08:16:01 AM »
Nicely done!  I have a head that needs a new 'snake', I'll definitely take some tips and inspiration from this.  But for the life of me, I kept wondering where the 'theory' was going to be explained. 

Yes, a bit of dyslexia.  Thanks Mom ;D

And hope you make good progress with your recovery, just dont try to push yourself too much.  Them surgeons get all uppity when they have to go back in and correct your enthusiasm.  They'll still cash the check tho'.