Author Topic: Drill bits for antler measures  (Read 1507 times)

Offline B.Habermehl

Drill bits for antler measures
« on: February 13, 2023, 02:11:54 AM »
What type of drill bits are best to use for drilling antler? I know Sibleys book recommends useing flat drills for horn. Of course antler is a different material, with different working qualities. Do twist drills grab or hog? Just trying to avoid beating up my hands. BJH
BJH

Offline Brokennock

Re: Drill bits for antler measures
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 07:42:19 PM »
I've used twist drills and flat woodworking drills. I put some oil on them, but file chall might work too, as I've had issues with the antler dust clumping and sticking to the steel. I have had twist drills grab and bind if not enough power us applied. This was using a cordless drill, since I started only using a corded drill I haven't had that issue. I drill a pilot hope with a small twist drill then work up as needed.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 08:28:52 PM »
 I have been using regular old twist drill bits on it for 50+ years. Just go slow, back out and clean out the flutes often. I've always used a corded drill, lathe or press, I don't use any kind of lube, I found that it mixed with the heated dust from the horn makes the chaff in the flutes harder to clean out, I use a tooth brush or pointed dowel to clean them out.
 One thing to think about is you have good solid antler and some that is very pithy. Each will drill different.

Tim C.

Offline TDM

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 03:31:21 AM »
I don’t have a preference for a particular drill bit type. What matters most is keeping the chasings cleaned out. Drill a 3/8” - 1/2” at a time and clear the bit and and antler. I do mine on a drill press.

Offline skratch

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 05:37:30 AM »
I use a variable speed cordless drill with regular bits, drilling slowly and cleaning the bit and hole
each 1/4" or so seems to work well for me. Start small and work up bit size in increments.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 02:36:58 PM »
Start small and work up bit size in increments.

Very small increments if you try this maybe a 32ths or 64ths at a time. If you try just drilling a small pilot hole and then jump up to a 1/4 or 5/16th you run the risk of cracking the horn.

Tim C.