Author Topic: Push-through sizer needed for .72-caliber conical  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Naphtali

• Starting Member
Push-through sizer needed for .72-caliber conical
« on: February 13, 2023, 04:04:12 AM »
I've been working on an easier-to-shoot, easier-to-load version of my .72-caliber conical. I've concluded that no variation of that conical will be significantly lighter weight. The only way to make shooting any conical variation is to reduce the powder charge. I can do this because my hunting area is unusually rough and short ranged. It is satisfactory for open-sight pistol hunting — were this what I wanted to do.

I'm thinking that a push-through sizer will allow me to avoid mallet loading and obtain results I seek. Large bullet diameter probably means such a sizing die is not available "off-the-shelf". And round ball is not the way I want to deal with it.

I'm requesting a solution. Please PM me with contact information for someone who can make one for me.

Offline Daryl

Re: Push-through sizer needed for .72-caliber conical
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 06:03:10 AM »
PM sent.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 07:26:32 PM »
You will need to now the exact diameter of your bore and then have a sizer made which is .001/.002 under that diameter.  That way, your bullet will obturate into the rifling and you will avoid excess windage, resulting in better accuracy.  Likewise, your bullet mold should only be slightly larger than bore size so you don't wipe out your grease grooves when sizing, or in the extreme have to size in 2 steps if your mold is too large.

To summarize, both your mold and sizer will be keyed off the actual bore size.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 12:54:51 AM »
Sizing bullets that are already lubed, does not distort the grooves, if they are full of lube.
Lubing using the cookie cutter method is the easiest way to lube them. A brass 12 bore case makes a perfect bullet remover from the lube cake.
trackofthewolf may have these. If not, then bufflaoarms.com.
Daryl

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 05:41:57 PM »
I've been working on an easier-to-shoot, easier-to-load version of my .72-caliber conical. I've concluded that no variation of that conical will be significantly lighter weight. The only way to make shooting any conical variation is to reduce the powder charge. I can do this because my hunting area is unusually rough and short ranged. It is satisfactory for open-sight pistol hunting — were this what I wanted to do.

I'm thinking that a push-through sizer will allow me to avoid mallet loading and obtain results I seek. Large bullet diameter probably means such a sizing die is not available "off-the-shelf". And round ball is not the way I want to deal with it.

I'm requesting a solution. Please PM me with contact information for someone who can make one for me.

Have you thought of having a custom mold made?

https://www.accuratemolds.com/
Ed Hamberg

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 10:35:57 PM »
I had this one made by Acc. Moulds. Brass DC and beautiful. It is now moly coated.

Daryl

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 11:02:53 PM »
Many years ago, I was approached by a gentleman who wanted some 12 ga brass cartridges loaded with bullets.  I cast up some .820 (8 bore) round balls and purchased a couple of boxes of 12 ga brass cartridges.
I had a 1/2 or maybe 5/8" thick iron plate which I drilled a hole of the correct size in and with an arbor press, I pushed the .820 balls through, then pressed them into the casing.
I imagine the same thing could be accomplished with a heavy duty drill press if you don't have an arbor press.
Obviously, the projectile does not have grease grooves, but I think the same thing could be accomplished with prelubed 12 ga cushion wads.  Bonus, you would not have lead fouling in the bore, probably a bit faster muzzle velocity, and loading each shot would wipe the bore clear of powder fouling.
Here is the finished cartridge.

John (Bigsmoke)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 11:10:11 PM by bigsmoke »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 12:05:16 AM »
High quality chucking reamers can be bought from any GOOD industrial supply shop.I have a variety but none smaller than .250
I don't know the actual bore diameter of any 22 and think they may vary from one maker to another.An expanding small hole gauge can be used for nominal bore diameter and then the fly in the ointment may be the true groove diameter.A good micrometer is a MUST have,
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 03:14:51 AM »
"Chucking" reamers are available from Pacific Tool and Gauge in .001" increments, but I do not know how large they are made.
He's needing a .72" sizer, Bob, not .22.
The exact "size" in thousandths would also have to be known.  Wilson makes blank dies for use by hand or with an arbor press.
"Harbor Freight" should have arbor presses that will handle the pressure needed. Up here, it's Princess Auto. I have no idea why
that name. They carry almost everything but firearms.
Daryl

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 08:26:30 PM »
The biggest Lee push through sizer is .501 but since it’s 7/8 dia I don’t see why you couldn’t drill it out to close to the size you want  yeah it would be thin  but don’t really need it that thick if only reducing a few thou of lead .  The Lee sizers aren’t all that hard and I’ve honed out quite a few with emery paper so drilling shouldn’t be an issue either

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 08:29:57 PM »
I once used a carbide concrete drill to open up an RCBS sizing die. It worked, and with a little emery, smoothed the surface sufficient for neck sizing.
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 03:22:31 AM »
"Chucking" reamers are available from Pacific Tool and Gauge in .001" increments, but I do not know how large they are made.
He's needing a .72" sizer, Bob, not .22.
The exact "size" in thousandths would also have to be known.  Wilson makes blank dies for use by hand or with an arbor press.
"Harbor Freight" should have arbor presses that will handle the pressure needed. Up here, it's Princess Auto. I have no idea why
that name. They carry almost everything but firearms.

My  bad >:(.My Dollar Store reading glasses let me down again.I think the 22 would be a bit more manageable
than the 72 and easier on the powder and lead supply.As long as we are discussing the absurd,what size buckshot would work in a .22? Harbor Freight is helping the Chinese economy here by building a BIG new store about 5 miles from me.All the family owned hardware stores here are now extinct and we have two good ones
in this area but not family owned.Local flea markets contributed to the demise of the smaller stores before any one ever heard of Harbor Freight.
Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 03:37:19 AM »
MSC has a ,721 chucking reamer for about $125+shipping.I just went "Awnlyne"and found it.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 04:58:56 AM »
#4 buck is the smallest buckshot size.
BB is .18 and BBB is .19, while T is .20 and F is .22 all in lead shot size. I've never seen T ans F for sale by the bag, except in steel shot.
Daryl

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 07:14:48 AM »
When I had a slug barrel made, I was lucky enough to have the maker send the cut off end to build a bullet wedger out of.
Can you spare an inch of your barrel? ;)
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 10:43:10 PM »
When I had a slug barrel made, I was lucky enough to have the maker send the cut off end to build a bullet wedger out of.
Can you spare an inch of your barrel? ;)

That is exactly what I did using 1 1/2" of a .50 Bauska barrel I had. I pressed the lubricated bullets through it using my rockcucker press to make mechanically fitted bullets.
These worked perfectly & shot very accurately as well.
Daryl