Author Topic: How do you grip rifle with this kind of triggerguard?  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Artificer

How do you grip rifle with this kind of triggerguard?
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:37:28 AM »
Folks, every time I link to the Contemporary Makers site, I notice the .54 Long Rifle by Jack Hubbard.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

With that kind of triggerguard, are you supposed to put your second, third and fourth fingers between the stock and inside the triggerguard when you grip it?

TIA, Gus

northmn

Re: How do you grip rifle with this kind of triggerguard?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »
I do not think I would want my fingers inside the TG as that could hurt.  Likely you just do not get a grip all the way around the wrist as we are used to. 

DP

roundball

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »
Agree no fingers would go inside...that's a pretty slim wristed ML and IMO that trigger guard simply adds bulk to the dimensions of the wrist area for a hand grip that aligns the trigger finger best

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
That's a nice rifle.  I agree with the above post - the distance from the top of the wrist to the grip rail may be a bit of illusion in this case due to the undercut "step" in the underside of the wrist. 

On the other hand if you look at most (not all, but most) original American southern rifles with stepped wrists, there is usually a slight radius to the grip rail, to bring it up a bit closer the underside of the wrist, and makes it a bit easier to grip.  Visually, I think it looks better too. I find straight grip rails that stand out really far from the wrist a little uncomfortable -  bit more radius reduces how much I have to stretch to reach the triggers, and keeps my hand locked in place when shooting.  Just my preference.  For a large person, I can see where the extra distance on the rail would feel better to them.

Guy
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:38:22 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »
I think that is one reason I like J.P.Beck rifles, the guard comes up, almost touching, the wrist and gives you the feeling of
a pistol "grip", have always liked the feel of them..........Don

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:32:15 PM »
You could put them all inside, but don't forget you aren't shooting your Marlin. ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 09:02:25 PM »
I agree with the above posts.  I'd think you would just grip the guard like any other rifle.  It certainly wouldn't be comfortable for some shooters.  No way I'd put my fingers inside that tg.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:48:33 PM »
Thanks to everyone.

It may be an optical illusion, but it looks like that trigger guard stands so proud of the wood that it would be difficult to grip it. I had noticed the wood relieved it above the trigger guard, but it still looked like the distance from the top of the stock to the bottom of the triggerguard was fairly far.  I've got large hands and even so, it looks like that.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
The Jaeger's also have guards like that, as do the Swiss target rights of antiquity, however the grip is always taken on the outside of the guard.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 08:01:04 PM »
This one is very comfortable for me  ;D

Offline Artificer

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 11:35:34 PM »
The Jaegers, schutzenfest rifles going all the way into the late 19th century,  some British sporting guns including double barrel shotguns, the Austrian M-1854 Jaegerstutzen Rifle, all had triggerguards that caused one to grip the rifle not unlike the M1903 "C" style grip.  However,  the sweep of the metal right behind the trigger bow of those kinds of trigger guards seem to be closer to the stock than the triggerguard did on the rifle in the link.  It looks like the sweep of those triggerguards allow you to get your second finger closer to the stock than the rifle in the link.  That's why I asked.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:50:06 PM by Artificer »

Online pulaski

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 03:54:03 AM »
Artificer , this style of grip harkens back to the target rifle grips .
The area under the trigers is for your second finger , with the ring and pinky finger gathered at the last stop .
For offhand shooting this grip doesn't allow you to torque your wrist , as long as consistant pressure is applied to the 3 non trigger fingers .
Hope this helps , I'm not real good at explaining with a keyboard .
Yhanks , Steve