Author Topic: When to epoxy bed barrel  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
Re: When to epoxy bed barrel
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2023, 03:59:05 AM »
Thanks Dphariss, I have already installed the lugs and inlet into the bed but I’m planning on not getting any acraglas near them. The only thing I should have to plug is the recess on each side of the breech plug lug. I have not drilled the pins and won’t until I’m satisfied with the bedding. Love your avatar btw. 😁

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2023, 04:40:05 AM »
Wingshot,

Use candle wax to fill the gaps on either side of the breech plug.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2023, 07:55:54 AM »
As a release agent.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Lone Wolf

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2023, 08:52:58 AM »
Interesting topic! My question is this, can plumbers putty be used in lieu of modeling clay if I were to pack it in the recess at the breech? After reading through this topic I think I’m going to bed the breech end of my inlet since I’m at a point where it would be now or never.

If you mean the recesses between the breech plug and back end of the barrel, I don't pack them with anything, just the release agent.  Once I remove the barrel after bedding, I use an inletting chisel to take off the tenons in the bedding that were formed by the recesses.  I suppose you could also just leave them be.

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2023, 05:04:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips and my apologies to the OP for jumping in with my own questions.