Author Topic: lock for english sporting rifle  (Read 10278 times)

peterw

lock for english sporting rifle
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:10:18 PM »
I am going to build halfstock english sporting rifle. What is yours opinion about R.E. Davis Late Ketland Lock? Did anybody use this lock?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: lock for english sporting rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:49:01 PM »
I am going to build halfstock english sporting rifle. What is yours opinion about R.E. Davis Late Ketland Lock? Did anybody use this lock?

Order a Manton rifle lock kit from the Rifle Shoppe if they have them in stock.

This lock is a recessed breech style but thats not a big problem and is "right" for a 1/2 stock British flint rifle.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

peterw

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
I have seriously considered this. Actually I have not enough experience to make this lock better than lock which I can buy. Building this lock will be next step on my learning curve.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:12:51 PM by peterw »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »
Building a lock from castings is a LOT of work, and an experience worth having, when you are looking for challenge in your life. ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

keweenaw

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:53:54 PM »
Plan on 40 to 50 hours the first time around for a fairly simple lock from TRS castings.  That Manton lock would take considerably more time for a first effort.

Tom

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »
As of a couple of weeks ago, TRS did not have a Manton lock kit in stock. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline SR James

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »
I used the Davis late Ketland on my English halfstock and have been very happy with it.  It's fast and easy on flints.

peterw

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:53:48 PM »
It's fast and easy on flints.
How many shots from one flint? Pedersoli makes good Manton like lock for their Mortimer rifle. It is really good lock but irrationally expensive (~200 Euro).

Offline SR James

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 03:57:13 AM »
Haven't really counted.  Built it a year ago, have shot it a lot and I'm on my third flint, I think, but might still be my second.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »

This lock is a recessed breech style but thats not a big problem and is "right" for a 1/2 stock British flint rifle.
Dan

Dan,
What do you mean by a "recessed breech"?
Thanks,
Blair

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »

Dan,
What do you mean by a "recessed breech"?
Thanks,
Blair

There was a great deal of work done in England to make flintlocks faster for wing shooting.
The recessed breech was Joe Manton's idea. It moved the vent closer to the center of the bore and this was supposed to reduce time from trigger pull to charge leaving the bore.
But it also allows making double shotguns narrower and this could have been its planned purpose (?) since it will narrow the gun by about 3/8" at the locks.

Dan

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 08:39:46 PM »
Peter,
        I have been trying to gather information on a flint, English Sporting Rifle for a while now. If you do a search on this site under english sporting rifle, and are patient, there is information to be had there. More specifically,
'Alexander Henry Rifle', TOF and Snyder posted a couple of beauty's, they are cap locks but they should be at the very least, inspiring. They were, are, for me.
        Buy both English rifle plans from TOTW, they give you a good Idea of the geometry and what you might be able to get away with. I also have the "Mortimer" book. There is not a lot in there, but there are a few pictures for inspiration. I am going to attempt to replicate one of the locks shown in that book, lots of re-shaping and welding required, I can't wait to get to it! I have spent A lot of my spare time trying to find information on the "web", but I think it takes someone with more computer savvy ( that would be just about every body) than I to find very much. I keep being reminded of an old columnist, that wrote a piece now and then called, "Things I learned while looking for other things". The search alone is worth the effort.
         In the mean time please share what you find, and I will as well. Good luck!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 04:47:24 AM »
DeWitt Bailey's  "British Military Flintlock Rifles" has some late English Sporting rifles in the second chapter on Indian rifles.

Dan

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »
Thanks, Dan. Apparently they are just what they say they are. I can see that being of benefit especially to shotguns where things can get really wide in the lock area.

peterw

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 10:38:58 PM »
Robby - one of the best pictures which I found on the web: http://www.sitemason.com/page/jA3tqo  (click slowly three times on the picture).
This http://www.flintlockcollection.net/ site is intersting also.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 09:02:32 AM »
Robby - one of the best pictures which I found on the web: http://www.sitemason.com/page/jA3tqo  (click slowly three times on the picture).
This http://www.flintlockcollection.net/ site is intersting also.

Note that Clark Fowler has apparently had the vent liner replaced. Platinum, was not used till about 1800 and the Clark design was not used.
Note the tumbler has been lightened by thinning it except where the notches are.

Dan

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 04:49:59 PM »
Robby - one of the best pictures which I found on the web: http://www.sitemason.com/page/jA3tqo  
Thanks peterw.  Those are some great photos.  I appreciate the link.
DMR

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 08:45:35 PM »
Thanks Peterw, Just got home from hunting, and hanging my deer. This was a nice surprise.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln