Author Topic: Spit vs Lube  (Read 1565 times)

Offline wvmtnman

Spit vs Lube
« on: April 10, 2023, 04:37:51 PM »
Will you get a different point of impact with a lubed patch versus a spit patch? 
   Thanks, Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Spit vs Lube
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 05:30:34 PM »
Probably, but would depend on the type of the other lube I think. I tried straight water for a lube once and it was terrible as compared to spit.  Experiment I guess.  ;)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 06:13:59 PM »
For match shooting, certainly every lube will change point of impact enough to test.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 07:36:53 PM »
Will you get a different point of impact with a lubed patch versus a spit patch? 
   Thanks, Brian

Usually.  The different lubes will also be cause to work up a new accuracy load as well.  The difference between spit and something slippery like LeHighValley and Mr. Flintlock I found, in
my .40 and .45 cals. was 10gr. of powder. It took 10gr. MORE powder to achieve the same accuracy and point of impact, with the slipper lubes.
I found spit as well as WWWF + a tich of Neetsfoot oil to shoot identically. I have not tested on paper, water soluble oil and water for the same characteristics, but they are likely there.
The 10:1 oil/water is quite slippery as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marvin S

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 02:12:57 AM »
My new to me lite bench rest rifle in 40 cal with Redfield Olympic sights shoots all over the place with greasy lubes, particularly wonder lube. I use hand sanitizer for lube now and what a difference that made.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 07:54:33 PM »
Mr. Mountainman:  as you can see by the responses, changing your lube DOES make a difference in the impact point of your balls.  But until YOU do some shooting, you won't have a clue how much difference.  So you have to go out and actually try various lubes to find out definitely what the difference will be.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 12:59:39 AM »
   Thanks, Brian

Usually.  The different lubes will also be cause to work up a new accuracy load as well.  The difference between spit and something slippery like LeHighValley and Mr. Flintlock I found, in
my .40 and .45 cals. was 10gr. of powder. It took 10gr. MORE powder to achieve the same accuracy and point of impact, with the slipper lubes.
I found spit as well as WWWF + a tich of Neetsfoot oil to shoot identically. I have not tested on paper, water soluble oil and water for the same characteristics, but they are likely there.
The 10:1 oil/water is quite slippery as well.
What's a tich amount to ? /Ed

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 07:56:29 PM »
In a 25 oz (empty) whiskey bottle , 2 oz. of neatsfoot oil is a tich, but the amount is not critical.  More, or less, will work just fine.  We're not building a clock here.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 06:56:38 AM »
What is WWWF ?

Windshield Washer Fluid ?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2023, 08:51:26 PM »
Winter Windshield Washer Fluid
I use Blue Thunder with no 'special' chemicals added.
This, for target shooting only (with a tich of oil) ;).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 09:43:43 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V