Author Topic: Looking for a builder  (Read 839 times)

Offline Bushfire

Looking for a builder
« on: February 20, 2023, 03:06:21 PM »
I have been humming and harring for 12 months on getting a good hunting rifle and finally pulled the finger out and started working out what I need to do.

Now full disclosure I don't live in the states, but please read the whole post before deciding it ain't for you.

I have managed to track down an exporter in the states who can do all the paperwork and organising and shipping to Australia. That is a separate job and expense and not anything a builder would need to concern themselves with. As far as that goes I just need a rifle built and shipped to the guy in Arizona, then it's his/my problem. For the builders part it would not be any different than an average job.

I'm looking at a larger bore transitional rifle around 62 cal. It will be my main hunting rifle for red deer and sambar deer, so I feel a 62 is a good option up to 100-120m or a bit beyond. My plan is to have something I can tote around for the next 40 or so years and pass on to my children. I Will consider a slightly higher cal, possibly down to 58. I do have a 54 that i wont sell so not sure if it's enough of a jump to justify getting a 58.

I would love to go full custom but because of our exchange rates I'm leaning more toward a kit, something like an Edward Marshall by Chambers. I need to contact them and Rice/Colerain to see if 62 cal is a possibility as I know it's not a listed cal on their website.
I'd like to keep the length of the rifle under 54" if possible, cuts down on freight here and makes travelling in country much more manageable.
My preference is for nicely figured cherry, some engravings but nothing too loud.
A good well tuned lock obviously and swamped barrel.
One small thing normally not done, I'd need a serial number stamped into the barrel, it doesn't have to been fancy just legible.

Although probably not correct for the 1760s I'm considering wedge pins and a hooked breech as a possibility, but not a requirement.

I guess I also have the ability to buy a completed gun that comes up too and I won't rule it out, I do like however the idea of having one made for me specifically.

Anyway I'm open to any suggestions on kits or gun designs worth considering. And for any builders who would be at least willing to consider the possibility please send me a message. Happy to chat.

Thank you

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Looking for a builder
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 04:15:52 PM »
I think an early English rifle could have the features and overall length you want, if that is appealing.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 05:10:35 PM »
 Good to see you back. I hope your search is successful.

Tim

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 06:09:48 PM »
pm sent