Author Topic: Fringed powder horn  (Read 1013 times)

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

Fringed powder horn
« on: February 23, 2023, 02:29:43 AM »
While cruising the internet for inspiration, I found this powder horn on the Skinner auction site. Does anyone have more/better pictures of this horn or any others like it? I can't seem to find any more that have the tacked on fringe around the base.

Online snapper

Re: Fringed powder horn
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 04:57:01 AM »
That is one of the ugliest @!*% things I have seen.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 05:30:46 AM »
That is one of the ugliest @!*% things I have seen.

Fleener

To each their own i guess.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 05:41:34 AM »
All that fringe would make it a PITA to use.  Does not look like a design conjured up by someone who actually shoots muzzleloaders.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 01:07:11 PM »
While cruising the internet for inspiration, I found this powder horn on the Skinner auction site. Does anyone have more/better pictures of this horn or any others like it? I can't seem to find any more that have the tacked on fringe around the base.

While I have to agree with Fleener and Jeff Murray, I am curious to know if the auction site offered any provenance.
Did they give any evidence that the horn is a legit original horn from the period?
It looks impractical and like something a Hollywood type imagined some western "Mountain Man" type would carry.
More than willing to be wrong here, and it is very possible that I am, but I am very curious as to what other info they offer.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 02:34:00 PM »
I got my searches confused, it was on iCollector, not Skinner. Not much info from the auction.

Offline JSMOSBY

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 04:34:22 PM »
Here's my daughter's horn (bison) that I made for my daughter.  She does not shoot.  I do and have made several that I use in addition to originals.

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 04:55:43 PM »
How about these? No fringe but along the same lines.

This one has a leather covered butt plug
one more

instagram photo download high quality

« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 05:05:32 PM by tooguns »
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 06:53:53 PM »
Tooguns, thank you for the pictures. Do you have any provenance on the horn with the fringe?

Offline tooguns

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 11:49:13 PM »
Tooguns, thank you for the pictures. Do you have any provenance on the horn with the fringe?
[/quote

I guess it was on eBay, This was with it on Worthpoint
Back to last search results | HOME > PRICE GUIDE > ETHNIC, FOLK & NATIVE AMERICAN ART
1840-1850 *RARE* PLAINS INDIAN ANTIQUE POWDER HORN* TOMAHAWK*BUFFALO HORN*

Offered is this beautiful, untouched buffalo Powder Horn. This is a very scarce Fur Trade Era, Powder horn made from a Buffalo horn with a Buffalo carved tooth stopper!! Rare full white buckskin fringe, original 1850's trade beads, sinew sewn. Mid 19th century tacks, wonderful untouched patina.This is a very scarce Plains Indian Buffalo horn that rarely exists outside of a Museum. It has all the desirable features you could hope to find. Very Rare and in very good condition.Safe - Secure Shipping assured.Thank you
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:53:57 PM by tooguns »
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 11:54:20 PM »
Thank you for the info Tooguns, appreciate it much.

Offline tooguns

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 05:02:55 PM »
Glad to be able to help.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 06:47:28 PM »
Neat piece. That red fabric under the fringe really reminds me of the stuff you see when bison horns were used for wall mounted coat and hat racks. I wonder if it was made from a horn that was repurposed from something like that. The horn under the front strap and at the top of the spout looks rather freshly carved or filed compared to the patina on the rest of piece.

Last thing, can you tell if the brass tacks square shanked? Just curious.
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 07:00:27 PM »
Neat piece. That red fabric under the fringe really reminds me of the stuff you see when bison horns were used for wall mounted coat and hat racks. I wonder if it was made from a horn that was repurposed from something like that. The horn under the front strap and at the top of the spout looks rather freshly carved or filed compared to the patina on the rest of piece.

Last thing, can you tell if the brass tacks square shanked? Just curious.
TCA

Unfortunately what you see in the picture is all I know about the piece. The red fabric is interesting for sure, can't see how it is applied at all. I wonder if the plug is more like an extension, then wrapped with the fabric as decoration. That would provide a good foundation for the tacks holding the fringe.
No idea about the tack shanks.
The spout work certainly looks different than the rest of the horn, maybe filed but not polished? The neck wrapping looks old, but I realize fakery is a possibility.
I would love a picture of the base, to see how the strap is attached.