General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

200 yard shooting

(1/7) > >>

Molly:
Just for fun, what cal., what load and what point of aim (inches over center) would you shoot.

Example:  50 cal, 80 gr, 18 inches high of center.

Jeff Murray:
I have a snap on sight setup that was glass bedded to fit the top of my barrel.  I can put it on and take it off with hand pressure.  IT allows me to hold center at that range for target shooting.  The big adjustment is windage as the ball takes a vacation on its way to the target.

Daryl:
Molly - I am pretty sure 80gr. won't "cut it" at 100yrds, let alone 200yards. I also think you might need a thicker patch.

Taylor used 127gr. 2F GOEX, a 10 ounce denim patch (.022") and .495" cast ball for the 200yard contest we had here. His barrel was a Rice, round bottom groove.
After this match, he made a .62 calibre Hawken for this match that was never repeated. I do not remember how much front sight he had to hold up
over the rear sight's top, but it was likely 3/16".

I don't recall what load parameters Candle Snuffer, (the match director,-I think) used.

I used my .69, which had a 200 meter sight blade sighted for 165gr. 2f Goex, .030" denim patch and .682" round ball. I reduced the charge to 140gr. 2F GOEX which gave a zero at 200yards
using that leaf.
In warm-up practice, we both put 5 shots into between 2 1/2" and 3" off the bench of course. Sorry, no picture of that.

There were no other entries.

Pukka Bundook:
With my short Jaeger, I used 70 grs and it is a .58. I think I have the front sight a quarter inch over the rear sight and could clobber the 200 yard deer target we painted on an old metal round patio table, Molly.

snapper:
80 grains is plenty to get it to 100 or 200 yards.  I shoot 86 grains of 2F swiss in 3 different ML, .45 cal pushing a 530 grain bullet to 1,000 yards.   You just got to elevate your sight picture.

Fleener

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version