Author Topic: 200 yard shooting  (Read 3956 times)

Offline RebelSon

• Starting Member
Re: 200 yard shooting
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 09:42:35 PM »
Good work, Freedom!!! Had to chime in-nothing makes the shot like the praise! I know I have a lot of days shootin' that disappoint, but when I have a good one they're real good and even better when someone knows about it!

Do you know your rate of twist in that barrel? Given your holdover where was the top of the front sight in relation to the black bull?

I am gonna make time to try this when I can get to the range with a friend. My past attempts weren't great, but I definitely have wanted to try again!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2023, 05:18:35 AM »
That's a good poke for a last shot.
That would be a dead deer.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2023, 07:02:43 AM »
I recall one instance of shooting at 200 yards at Ben Avery in Phoenix many years ago.  My point of aim was a white rock about two feet left of the target and probably 18 inches above the top edge of the paper.  We were shooting curve balls in the breeze.

Offline Freedom

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2023, 04:37:53 PM »
Thank you RebelSon and Daryl. My hold was roughly a 6 o'clock hold on the black but it was far and the site covers lots of real estate. The rifle is a 58cal Kibler Colonial with a 1:70 twist.

Something interesting. The wheel weight ball from a Lyman mold had a very strong spur. The spur was perfectly embossed into the aluminum disc that was punched from the aluminum. It was laying on the snow. So the spur was still leading the charge and had not tilted from center.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2023, 08:35:17 PM »
The sprue is not supposed to turn in flight, except for spiraling as induced by the rifling. If centred, it will remain so.
That's a mighty small aiming point - your eyes must be VERY good.
Daryl

Offline Freedom

• Starting Member
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2023, 11:49:39 PM »
The sprue is not supposed to turn in flight, except for spiraling as induced by the rifling. If centred, it will remain so.
That's a mighty small aiming point - your eyes must be VERY good.

Well honestly Daryl until I see 5 or 10 of those holes all cuddled up together, I have to contribute a lot of it to good fortune and luck.

The snow also made a great backdrop, and if the wind ever stops I'm going to get back out there and see if I can replicate it.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 12:56:29 AM by Freedom »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2023, 03:40:01 AM »
That could be, however the elevation in comparison to my .69's required 'elevation' sounds about right.
Yes- more shots on the page would prove the concept.
Daryl

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2023, 04:01:06 AM »
Just for fun, what cal., what load and what point of aim (inches over center) would you shoot.

Example:  50 cal, 80 gr, 18 inches high of center.

I just happened to shoot at 200 today, I was wasting my time trying to untie the April match and one  of  the 2 young guys took a couple of shots at a leftover 12” shoot-n-see at the 200 yard line and I called their shots with my scope. I figured what the heck so I tried it with the swivel given my luck with the crow target…..
I gave the (I thought) needed windage and elevations and it was high we thought. The next one I took off about 12 inches of elevation and got a hit at about 7:30 3” +- from center. Went out to look for the first one and it was on call about 12” above the first. Impressed the 2 300 win mag shooters anyway.

I would guess I was holding about 18-20” high and about that into the breeze which was quartering from about 4 oclock but only maybe 3-4 mph.
Either would have done for an Elk if I were desperate enough to shoot at one that far. This was not my normal hunting load I think its about 75 gr but the antler measure is not marked.  The first ball struck a 1 1/2”? Above that scrap of paper with the staple.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2023, 06:14:37 AM »
Tough target in the wind. When Taylor and I shot the 200yard postal match years ago, I don't think we had any wind, which was not normal for our range.
There were a lot of guys here interested, but only 2 of us submitted targets, including "centershot" - was that his handle?
Daryl

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2023, 08:13:19 AM »
Tough target in the wind. When Taylor and I shot the 200yard postal match years ago, I don't think we had any wind, which was not normal for our range.
There were a lot of guys here interested, but only 2 of us submitted targets, including "centershot" - was that his handle?

The wind today was what we would call no wind and I did wait for one near calm period. But there was still wind at the 100 yard berm just not a lot. 5-6 mph will cause feet of drift at 300 with a 50 cal RB. There was a chunk on the trail marking tape out on the backer board support. I just did it for the heck of it. But I have shot this rifle a lot and have shot at 150 -200 at rocks and such with various MLs for some years now and I had some idea.  300 takes 5 feet or so of hold over IIRC.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine