Author Topic: James Bown and Son shotgun  (Read 558 times)

Offline Rwoodlaw

• Starting Member
James Bown and Son shotgun
« on: March 01, 2023, 02:37:43 AM »
While cleaning out my deceased brother’s home, we discovered a James Bown and Son double barreled shotgun stashed away. No idea where it came from. It is in pretty rough condition with rust, deep gouges on the stock and one hammer broken off. However, it is in original condition. I have ordered a replica catalogue of the period to determine what model and how much the original cost, etc. Any idea what such a gun would be worth for purposes of my brother’s estate. I suspect not much, but any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for your input.

Offline Carl Young

Re: James Bown and Son shotgun
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 03:08:31 AM »
Perhaps this would help.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=udel.31741112787850&view=1up&seq=11

I just did an appraisal on a family shotgun of the period which is complete and in "good" condition. My cousin thought it was worth more than my $60-$80 estimate and had it appraised by an auction house in Connecticut, they said $100.

Regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal