Author Topic: Rifle & Musket Percussion Caps,,,  (Read 2741 times)

Offline skratch

• Starting Member
Rifle & Musket Percussion Caps,,,
« on: March 01, 2023, 07:57:16 AM »
Any info on when percussion caps might again be available?
Thanks, John,,,,

Offline Gaeckle

Re: Rifle & Musket Percussion Caps,,,
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 06:50:04 PM »
Log Cabin has some

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 10:48:44 PM »
I got musket caps from Dixie Gun Works $50 for 500 with $40 hazmat shipping. #11 are around but quite a bit of price gouging. Gunbroker has then listed $15  to $30+ per 100. I broke down a bought a tap-a-cap from Dixie, haven't tried to use it yet. All the more reason to shoot flintlocks!
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline Kevin

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 12:46:56 AM »
SCHUETZEN MUSKET CAPS 4-WING 1000/bx
$91.99
In Stock   (as viewed 3/1/2023)

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3511

Take Care,
Kevin

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 04:25:47 AM »
I got musket caps from Dixie Gun Works $50 for 500 with $40 hazmat shipping. #11 are around but quite a bit of price gouging. Gunbroker has then listed $15  to $30+ per 100. I broke down a bought a tap-a-cap from Dixie, haven't tried to use it yet. All the more reason to shoot flintlocks!

Even $15.00 per hundred is an outrageous price for here, let alone in the States. Last time I bought caps, they were $5.00 per C.
I bought a bunch.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 06:55:49 AM »
I don't even think we can find them here in BC. I'm glad I shoot flintlocks mostly, and have a little stash of caps. Reloading stuff has gotten ridiculous.

Offline skratch

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 08:34:24 AM »
Reason I ask is because I've got a percussion rifle I built in mid 1980s that I'm going to resurrect. Was thinking of a flint conversion but decided against it because of the cost. Where I live in New Mexico, USA, the nearest dealer that might have some caps is a 110 mile round trip, so I'd probably need to just order some, but not for the cost now, plus hazmat fees. The flint conversion is sounding better.
Thanks guys for the info,
John,,,,,

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 09:05:01 AM »
Both of my flint rifles shoot 3F just fine. I've located another 4 pounds (3 of 3F and 1 4F) at $30.00 per pound.
They are 500 miles away, but will get them this spring.
Daryl

Offline skratch

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 11:58:37 AM »
I've still got 5 lbs of cannon grade for my half-scale Napoleon. Due to age and other reasons I don't fire it much anymore. I tried with a small amount to reduce it to about 2F but couldn't get
a uniform size. (any tips?) I just shoot for fun so fine accuracy's not a big issue.

Justin, speaking of reloading components, I've still got a fairly good stash. I have an idea of machining a nipple to use small pistol primers with the standard percussion hammer. I'm not sure if they might be too hot though. (Any thoughts anyone?) Not historically correct I know, but a less expensive way to keep shooting, anyway, just an idea.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 06:17:32 PM »
Scratch,
I had a primer ignition adapter on a rifle years ago,early 1960's and it worked fine.It takes more fire to ignite white and gray powder than black..
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 08:43:29 PM »
Scratch,
I had a primer ignition adapter on a rifle years ago,early 1960's and it worked fine.It takes more fire to ignite white and gray powder than black..
Bob Roller

I made one of those in the 70's, using an adjustable speed 3/8" electric drill held in a bench vice for my lathe. All file work, then tap and die. Mine used small rifle primers.
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 03:21:34 PM »
Scratch,
Bob Roller

I made one of those in the 70's, using an adjustable speed 3/8" electric drill held in a bench vice for my lathe. All file work, then tap and die. Mine used small rifle primers.
[/quote

The adapter is an alternative.I have about 600 #12 caps but several thousand large and small "primers"for rifle and pistol in both sizes.
I used the adapter on a target rifle I made with the first barrel Bill Large made when he got his new shop running and it was 58 caliber.
A few years ago there was a shortage of primers and the BPCR shooters were hurting and when I started shooting muzzle loaders in1951 percussion and musket caps were rare indeed as was black powder.I bought my first pound of DuPont 3fg for $1.50 at a pawn shop in Charleston WVa that was 50 miles away.Two years later I met E,M.Farris who had a shop in Portsmouth,Ohio and I bought powder and caps from him until he closed the shop in 1969.
Bob Roller

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 05:47:22 PM »
I ran across this,

It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 08:37:32 PM »
Yes - VERY similar to what I made - almost exactly. The shank of mine was not all-thread.
Daryl

Offline skratch

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 03:02:58 AM »
I was thinking maybe of like a conventional nipple with a slightly tapered hole for the primer to snug it in place. The hammer force should be enough to firmly seat and fire. I do like the enclosed design like the illustration though.

A slap hammer I made for my cannon, it uses 209 shotgun primers seated in barrel.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 03:24:13 AM by skratch »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2023, 04:07:47 AM »
The pistol and rifle primers are so "hot" you do not want them anything but enclosed.
Daryl

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2023, 06:21:41 AM »
If you have 209 primers ,a Mag Spark adapter is what I'm using in all my side locks/under hammer . I get them from Warren Outdoors ,nice gent and great service ,Most likely around $30.00-35.00 and get an extra cap just in case your your other name is (mitts) It is enclosed no erosion/no blowback/water proof your gun just by taping the muzzle . I used to shoot a lot of trap/skeet and have ( lots) of cases (CCI) and I like options !/Ed

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 08:57:40 PM »
All rifle, shotgun and pistol primers are "hotter" than percussion caps. Hotter may or may not effect your accuracy, especially in bullet guns.
Daryl

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2023, 01:42:35 AM »
Was at a gun show today and bought a few cans of Remington percussion caps.  Maybe I paid a little too much?
Various sizes, and I am going to keep some but I have some I can share at $10 a container.  Have 7 tins of #10 size and one tin of #12.
I have never seen #12's.  What are they for?
I guess I better re-post this on the classified?  And will do so now.
Adios

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2023, 10:49:03 PM »
Larger diameter nipples? ::)
sorry, couldn't resist. ;)
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2023, 05:21:02 PM »
Any info on when percussion caps might again be available?
Thanks, John,,,,

Caps are available.Look at Gun Broker ad. Flintlocks will become the muzzle loaders of choice.
Steinschloss,Gestern,Heute,Morgen!!!!!
Bob Roller

Offline Rado

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2023, 05:29:10 PM »
This is why flintlocks became interesting to me. Even if civilisation collapses as a whole I can still make everything I need.
Saltpeter. Charcoal. I can tear some lead from a roof or old pipes. You find Flint everywhere in northern Europe.

One can make percussion caps but you cant make the chemicals you need.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 05:32:44 PM by Rado »
Born in Poland, living in Germany. Just a guy who loves history, ideas of freedom and handicrafts.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2023, 05:47:15 PM »
My old pal's saying he sometimes inscribed o the lower flat of his guns,
 "Make a better matchlock, and the world will beat a track to your door"...might just be right!

They Are Fast!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2023, 08:44:29 PM »
I have noticed one thing about newly made flintlocks. I have yet to see one,including all of those I made that will make a fierce and sizzling ball of WHITE fire that lays and fries in the pan.WHAT were those high end frizzens made from to make that very desirable condition a reality? I have seen new ones that produce more than adequate orange fire but nothing like the Brits made.I remember Tom Dawson's 16 bore Manton rifle and the white hot fire and the sizzling sound. That gun was the equal of any cap lock and no hold thru needed while the ignition cycle proceeded.Anyone have any ideas?? What hardeing process was used in the days of Manton and other English lock filers??
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2023, 08:59:54 PM »
Odd time, I get sizzling in the pan with Durs Egg and Dickert locks from Trackofthewolf if using Rich's River rocks (chert flints).
These same locks do not do that with English or French flints. Must be due to the hardness/toughness of the chert in comparison
to the flint used in English and Amber French flint. The particular hardness of the frizzen would also come into play.  This was even
more evident when using a very thin lead wrap(X-ray wall sheeting) instead of leather. Zzzzzzzzz dancing in the pan.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 04:19:53 AM by Daryl »
Daryl